IB SL Music IA

Utah IB Student

I did this class last year, and I had a lot of fun. My teacher recommended using

www.imslp.org

This website has free scores, mainly of Western art music.

For my essay, I wrote comparing a piece of Spanish Nationalist music to an Indian piece. I went to imslp and based my paper around a piece that I found on there. For my Indian piece, however, I had to transcribe it by ear.

I hope this helps!

For folk music especially, if you can, try transcribing your pieces ! That's what I did, I had to transcribe my whole folk piece because there was literally no sheet music for it! After transcribing, analyse and compare!

If it's for a Western Art Piece, imslp is the way to go! They have a trove of treasures, definitely a Music student's heaven! Unless you're using a very recently composed piece e.g Ross Edwards, then they would have it!

For pop music - sheet music can be found every where, just make sure they've been correctly arranged and transcribed! Just simply look it up on Google. If you can't find it, I'm sure you can by it legally somewhere online as well, it probably won't be too expensive unless it's an orchestral score.

Hope I helped!

Edited by simply0celine

Guest Skyrior

The easiest format would usually be in the form of an article. It's basically like writing an essay but in a more casual format. You get marked for the understanding of medium (personally I think this is like wtf?) so keep this in mind. Formats such as a broadcast programme, an interactive game is probably more interesting if you've got the skillz, but they won't net you any more marks outside of holistic impression.

Western scores prior to 1924/1934 can usually be found on imslp.org

Other scores have to be either popular (e.g. pop songs, famous folk tunes) to warrant a sure search or have to be manually transcribed.

Do not transcribe everything. Transcribe only what you need. You can transcribe everything if you love transcribing though.

An easy approach (assuming you are experienced with sound/video editing) is just to download a copy of the music, crop a certain portion of the music relevant to your analysis, e.g. Use of portamento across syncopated notes (extract 1), and put it in the CD you need to submit. (Remember, though, to add a comment somewhere to tell the examiner)