CAS - Viable choices?

Sefer

So, after summer, I'm starting my first year of IB, and I already started planning on what I'll be doing.

Currently, I'm attending a martial arts class, Ju-Jutsu to be precise. It will count as "action" only right?

Also, is fanfiction writing considered as "creativity"? If not, will I be able to chalk it off as a novel writing?

For service, I'll be working as a volunteer at my town's activity center, so here I have no questions.

I think martial arts could be Creativity as well, since you are learning how to do it. I think you would have to talk to your CAS advisor about fanfiction writing, as I know my school is strict about what you can and can't do, but I think I've heard of people doing that for their Creativity, so its possible.

Martial arts can potentially be all CAS. I practised Tae Kwon Do, and I got approved for all three areas because I was responsible for teaching little kids during training hours. Since martial arts have specific forms and patterns, there is the "creative" element to it.

I'm pretty sure that writing fan fiction can be counted as creativity if you can get a supervisor for it.

Most martial arts are considered CAS appropriate.

Action: its a sport

Creativity: its called martial ARTS for a reason

Service: if you can teach it to people your in the green

I personally write fanfiction myself but if you are going to use that as your creative i suggest you have a english or creative writing teacher over view your works.

• 2 weeks later...

Are all "ARTS" creative Taylor? And are all martial arts creative for the sole reason of the word 'arts'? Finally, the fact that you teach something does not automatically make that activity a service.

This is a good TOK topic/discussion.

In CAS the real focus should be on the learning and not on the defining of terms so that activities can fit nicely into categories.