Nov08 May09 Title 10

Guest godlvian

Guest godlvian

Hey guys and girls..im having trouble developing an essay or points for that matter in this topic.

'There can be no knowledge without emotion...until we have felt the force of the knowledge its not ours'Discuss this vision of the relationship between knowledge and emotion

all help would be greatly apreciated....tok noob here:(

Looks like you chose a tough one. I can throw you a bone though. This ontological part of human nature to have the desire to know has been a core philosophical question. Aristotle wrote a long piece called The Desire to Understand found here. Think about why you ever want to know anything, it's probably always driven by emotion like the desire to succeed or please, or to share something you have a passion for. Why do you want to know how to tackle this topic? Probably because you want to do well in school and be proud of yourself or something similar. Regardless, these are the types of questions you need to be asking yourself and others, why bother knowing anything? What sort of power/beauty does knowledge give you? What does it make possible? Why know x instead of y?

This is a challenging topic especially when seeking good examples, good luck XD

Guest godlvian
Looks like you chose a tough one. I can throw you a bone though. This ontological part of human nature to have the desire to know has been a core philosophical question. Aristotle wrote a long piece called The Desire to Understand found here. Think about why you ever want to know anything, it's probably always driven by emotion like the desire to succeed or please, or to share something you have a passion for. Why do you want to know how to tackle this topic? Probably because you want to do well in school and be proud of yourself or something similar. Regardless, these are the types of questions you need to be asking yourself and others, why bother knowing anything? What sort of power/beauty does knowledge give you? What does it make possible? Why know x instead of y?

This is a challenging topic especially when seeking good examples, good luck XD

well i figured out that it was basic human desire that makes us want..etc..the thing is i dont know if i can find counter claims...which i havnt thought of yet..

im going 2 use math,science and art as the AoK to show it applies to every spectrum of Aok..

well i figured out that it was basic human desire that makes us want..etc..the thing is i dont know if i can find counter claims...which i havnt thought of yet..

im going 2 use math,science and art as the AoK to show it applies to every spectrum of Aok..

I would only pick two and preferably the two that provide the greatest contrast. Math and science are intimately connected, so I'd pick one and contrast it with Art. Counterclaims for this would be knowers who have no desire to have knowledge (computers). You could talk about the effects of injecting our desire to know more despite limited brain capacity into inanimate objects (which is pretty ****ed up when you think about it).

So there's at least one counterclaim.

Guest godlvian
I would only pick two and preferably the two that provide the greatest contrast. Math and science are intimately connected, so I'd pick one and contrast it with Art. Counterclaims for this would be knowers who have no desire to have knowledge (computers). You could talk about the effects of injecting our desire to know more despite limited brain capacity into inanimate objects (which is pretty ****ed up when you think about it).

So there's at least one counterclaim.

emm computers dont think because they have no emotional need to think and expand their knowledge..so that argument would support the quote.

I will use math ,which came about because of our need to count & contrast to art,which was born to fullfill our need to express..the thing is i cant seam to find personal examples:(..

emm computers dont think because they have no emotional need to think and expand their knowledge..so that argument would support the quote.

I will use math ,which came about because of our need to count & contrast to art,which was born to fullfill our need to express..the thing is i cant seam to find personal examples:(..

According to my ToK teacher (also an examiner for ToK), personal examples are a no no. To indirectly quote him: "the examiner doesn't care about your personal examples." Instead, you'll want to find an actual example that you can actually cite. For example, (not for this occasion) you could use newtonian physics as a concrete example and then cite Newton's work.

• 1 month later...

1 personal example

You love skiing, because you have felt the force when skiing down the hill, cold wind rushing into your face. You learned how to do a backflip, you have felt the knowledge. The skill is now yours, and it will stay with you longer than something stoic, like... You won't remember how do calculate some chem equation because you have no passion for it. But you will remember backflip because you love parkour. PASSION ;)

• 2 months later...

“There can be no knowledge without emotion…until we have felt the force of the knowledge, it is not ours (adapted from Arnold Bennett). Discuss this vision of the relationship between knowledge and emotion. I really need some help with this title and how it relates to knowledge. I'm stuck for ideas. Damned writers block. Could anyone help??

Thanks blindpet SO much for the book suggestion! I also found that reading Plato's Republic before it helped.

In relation to how personal to make your essay, the rubric says:

excellent (maximum points for this section) (consistently appropriate and effective) examples, drawn from a wide variety of sources, including the candidate's own experience, to illustrate succinctly the main points of the argument; the examples reflect a high degree of cultural diversity.

For ideas....

What about the fact that emotion precedes knowledge?

What about the fact that some things can't be experienced (Mathematics, Quantum Physics, etc.), does that mean we cannot "know" them?

What is to know? What does it mean for knowledge to be "ours"?

Does knowledge ever change our emotions about something?

Does emotion ever prevent us from gaining knowledge (BIAS)?

Is knowledge or emotion stronger?

Can either knowledge or emotion stand alone?

If you need any more help, just let me know. I've already written my paper on this topic. :)

• 2 weeks later...

And there's always that saying that said something about how you're supposed to take a lesson to heart or something like that. Don't remember the exact quote. >.< But the point was that as long as you didn't feel the lesson (take it to heart), then you wouldn't really learn anything.

It goes the same for a subject you love and a subject you hate. You might study a subject you hate and memorize everything for a test, but you won't really remember any of it in future years because you didn't like it. The knowledge that you have from it just won't stick.

• 3 weeks later...