Preparing for second year of Lang & Lit?

Hi,

I'm starting my 2nd year of IB really soon (I have exams on November) and I'm kind of worried about my Language and Literature course this year. I'm taking English A: Language and Literature, and the first year was fine, but now that I'm going into the literature portion of the course, I don't really know how to prepare for the classes.

Does anyone have tips on how to prepare for the literature portion, or what I should do during the semester to do... well? (By the way, we don't know which works we'll be studying yet, so I can't read ahead. :()

Thanks in advance! :)

You should familiarize yourself with all the literary devices, know how to identify them in a text and how to give examples of them. Also think about how they may be used by the author to create an effect on the reader.

I would advise you to make flashcards (I have like a 100+ lit. terms flashcards) of the literary terms on one side and a definition and an example on the other. Maybe quiz yourself whenever you get the chance to.

I think this would be helpful :)

Edited by Sharina N
  • Like 1

Definitely enrich your vocabulary and maybe read some of the classics of literature which you could reference in the exam and show your knowledge. In addition reading will always help you in a any english course in terms of improving your style, vocabulary and writing skills in general. Of course the best way to prepare is to know your official set texts and start analysing them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You should familiarize yourself with all the literary devices, know how to identify them in a text and how to give examples of them. Also think about how they may be used by the author to create an effect on the reader.

I would advise you to make flashcards (I have like a 100+ lit. terms flashcards) of the literary terms on one side and a definition and an example on the other. Maybe quiz yourself whenever you get the chance to.

I think this would be helpful :)

Definitely enrich your vocabulary and maybe read some of the classics of literature which you could reference in the exam and show your knowledge. In addition reading will always help you in a any english course in terms of improving your style, vocabulary and writing skills in general. Of course the best way to prepare is to know your official set texts and start analysing them.

I know it's been a long time since I started this thread, but thanks a lot for the great advice, both of you :D I've been reading some poems, short stories, and plays, and started to make flashcards for the key lit terms. Fortunately, I feel much more confident for lit classes this year. Sadly our teacher hasn't still decided the texts yett :( I guess we'll get to know what they are in the beginning of the semester. Anyways, thanks!!