Hello! I am a Pre IB student and am aiming to take HL Economics next year(I wanted to take Business and Management but our school doesn't offer it). Is it relevant for me to take HL Maths? I am interested in international business/relationship and communication. Considering my current Math grades I think I am competent enough for HL, hopefully. Please share your experience, what does universities look for even? I am confused...

if you are hoping to study economics in university I would recommend taking math hl as many universities would require it but others will not if you are planning on taking business related studies in university then math sl would be very sufficient. Too be really sure of the requirements for a major in a university you can check on the university's website or contact their admissions asking them for the requirements. As for the economics HL course i just finished the syllabus last week and i really enjoyed it throughout the two years i hope you will enjoy it too.

• Like 3

Hello! I am a Pre IB student and am aiming to take HL Economics next year(I wanted to take Business and Management but our school doesn't offer it). Is it relevant for me to take HL Maths? I am interested in international business/relationship and communication. Considering my current Math grades I think I am competent enough for HL, hopefully. Please share your experience, what does universities look for even? I am confused...

Well, i don't know much about the courses that you're talking about but i assume that HL math won't be a requirement as such. I do SL math with econ and I want to major in econ and I haven't faced any problem as of now. However, you should mail some universities and ask them about their course requirements.

In terms of difficulty, take a look at both SL and HL past papers and that way you can evaluate your own competence much more easily.

• Like 1

HL Economics is not mathematically challenging. Math SL will suffice. However, university wise, if you're aiming for UK universities HL math will be extremely useful to have if not essential for any eco/business course. If you want to apply to US universities math HL isn't that important. Make sure you are willing to put in the required effort for HL maths before taking it or it will lower your total points.

• Like 2