University course suggestions?

Badalyan

Hello,

I really enjoy History, Maths and Economics and I am taking them at higher level and with current grades (6, 6, 7). Can anyone help me find a good uni course please? Because everyone is suggesting me to do Economics in uni, but I want to consider all the options available.

Thanks

If you enjoy maths maybe Actuarial Studies? or Accounting? Something slightly more generic would be a Commerce degree. If you really, really enjoy history you could always do a history degree, though this may arguably result in more difficulty after uni job wise, though if your passion lies here I don't think this would be that much of an issue.

As a note: have you tried considering what kind of job/career you'd like to end up in for the long-term? :) Also, which country would you like to go to uni in? If you want to stay in your own country you could take a look at the courses your local unis offer and see which sound interesting.

Hey there!

There are many degrees you can take, many for which the subjects you take at IB don't matter. For most degrees that are not within the natural sciences, there are no subject prerequisites, at least not in the UK, which means you're free to take a degree in those fields no matter what you've studied previously.

What is of more importance than what you're 'qualified' to study, is what you actually want to do in the future. It doesn't help anyone if you start doing Politics because people convinced you you that the politics degree will be a very good degree if you truly hate politics. Nor does it really help if you study Sociology if you actually want to become a mathematician. What you need to do, is to ask yourself what you think you'd like to work with, or, in the very least, what you enjoy doing. If you enjoy political debates, then maybe a degree in politics is your best bet. If you thoroughly enjoy statistics and whatnot, perhaps a degree in economic would be better.

Don't restrict yourself to your HL subjects. Although it's often true that the HL subjects often reflect a student's interests, it doesn't have to be, and it doesn't have to form the foundation for a degree. Some of my friends who took a science-heavy subject ended up doing degrees within the social sciences. Another person I know went on doing a degree in economics without having studied economics at IB.

Or, to make it all more basic: What do you enjoy? What makes you happy? I suggest you listen to this inspirational talk by Alan Watts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je3rQevW-cw

Although you might not agree with Watts and his philosophy, his points are very valid, but often ignored in the modern world. My advice is: Do not ignore them!

I know the questions I raise are very difficult to get to the bottom of and end up with a definite answer, but you need to consider them thoroughly if you want to have a happy, successful life. If you end up taking a degree in Economics, you hate economics and end up changing degree, you've effectively wasted a lot of your own time - time which could have been spent more effectively. You don't want that to happen, do you? Now, I'm not saying this will not happen if you have considered things thoroughly, but you reduce the chances, and hopefully you've explored one of your interests. In addition, you reduce the risk of being in that situation in the first place.

Good luck!