What do you think of TOK?

Clause

even though it might seem to be a very useless class its quite interesting how you apply it to the rest of your life (even though you arent aware of it or dont want it to happen). obviously it also depends on the person teaching it, to get you more engaged or not. nonetheless dont give up on it. the more you think its useless the worse it will be for you. after all you can get an extra point for it!! use it in your favour. and most importantly think critically!! :)

Unfortunately, It is a class that really depends on the teacher.

And, to put it nicely.... our teachers do their jobs rather poorly. :guilty:

Yes, I said teachers because our teacher changes with the AOK (we have one teacher for one AOK).

And our teachers read (I wrote read because it always feels like a poorly given presentation... because it IS) power-point presentation after power-point presentation. No questioning, no explaining, and after usually 10 "sessions", we write a 500- 800 word essay about a quote and discuss it individually.

We don't really discuss in class, either (mostly because our two wannabe-philosophers start arguing, which I have to admit, can be rather amusing).

So, personally, I am really disappointed with TOK, it had a lot of potential, but was shattered by our school.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that It can be a very interesting subject. If it is done right, that is !

• Like 2

Our teachers were really bad. I used to hate ToK in IB1 because our teacher would simply take out an orange and begin talking about it in terms of the ways of knowing there are while the entire class stared at her, not comprehending what she was actually doing.

We never went through how to answer questions in essays, nor how to write essays, nor the importance of including knowledge issues and so on. This year though, I sat down by myself and read the ToK book we had been given as well as ibsurvival :D and wrote my presentation and essay. I must say, I absolutely loved doing these two things. I found ToK so much more interesting once I had escaped all the crap from my teacher.

But yeah. IB1 ToK was a complete joke. The first three months of IB2 is what got me to love it in the end.

I like TOK, but to an extent.

It definitely forces you to think critically and we had some pretty awesome discussions in our classes. However, since it is about the theory of knowledge, I feel like if you really "buy into TOK," you can just end up a mess, questioning everything and accomplishing nothing. So there's definitely a balance that needs to be set.

I'd like to add to my previous post, as I now hate it even more.

We have already submitted our essays to Turnitin, and are waiting to submit it to the IB directly in class. We have already done our presentations. In other words, there is NO reason that we should continue. But the second year IBDP students are with the first year for TOK this year, so we are being assigned homework (like, essays) for AoKs that they are just now studying that cannot help us, since we're done with everything. But he doesn't allow us to do other stuff, and our class/classroom is so small that you can't hide that you're working on other things.

So I spend 45 minutes every other day zoning out and wishing how much I could be working on other things, and hating the class more with each passing second.

• 1 month later...