Taking two Ab Initio languages? :/

vals

I've been experiencing some problems with my school... Basically, they're forcing me into taking two Ab Initio languages (French and Spanish) since me and another classmate of mine were the only ones who showed interest in taking French B.
I find it stupid that I am only allowed to take French Ab Initio, because I've studied it for three years and, according to the IB Language guide, that's a sufficient background for B courses.

At the end of the day, I'd be easier for me to score higher in my exams, but wouldn't universities think that my subject choice was dictated by laziness rather than my stupid school's organization?

Now, my IB coordinator asked me if it'd be possible for me to take the French B exam at the end of my two-year programme, in spite of taking Ab Initio classes. I said that'd be completely fine for me, as I'm always hard-working and I don't mind self-studying (I am self-studying Esperanto and I've worked my ass off in Spanish out of classes).

So yeah, I'm only curious about the legacy of this: would the IB allow me to take B lang. exams even though I had French AB classes? I don't think they'd accept that! I feel like my school's into some kind of monkey business for some reason...
Would you rather take 2 Ab initios, or - if possible - attend French Ab Initio classes and take the B exam at the end of IB?

Surely the B lang exam is completely different. The things I learn in Ab initio is extremely different to the work of the B lang in my school. It seems odd to me, i think you're safer doing the Ab initio paper, unless you do a few B lang ones now and see how you do. I think i'd rather two ab initio classes, Good luck to you though! x

• Like 1

Well that kind of makes the whole concept of Ab Initio pointless if you've already been studying it for 3 years… But the difference in level for French B and French Ab Initio is quite great. If you only learn the stuff for French Ab Initio you would probably not do well for your French B exam. If you do plan on taking the French B exam, you should maybe get a French teacher outside of your school to go over with you the necessary topics for French B (look at the subject syllabus).

In terms of what the universities will think, that's dependent on what you want to study. If you have something in mind of what you would like to study, you should definitely check out the requirements for it. And yes, IB would allow you to take the French B exam even if you attend French Ab Initio classes if your school puts your subject down as French B.

Edited by Ayumi
  • Like 1