Help! Business and Management HL or Visual Arts HL

anikamt

Hey, so I'm super confused about my subject combination.

I really want to do Visual Arts - but I am not sure about the workload, and whether I will fare well; mainly because art can be so subjective and you can never judge how well you can do whereas with BM, you can work and well - eventually get there.

Also - I am not sure about the credits etc.

If anyone can help?

Hi there,

This will depend on a couple of things:

1) Which subject do you actually like more

2) What do you want to do at university

3) How much work you're willing to put in

Those are not arranged in order of importance.

However, I can tell you right now that if visual arts is not super important to you or the course you want to do at uni, it is a pretty big risk taking it. VA HL has a gigantic amount of coursework, and practice really takes up a huge chunk of your time. I did Music HL, and I think I spent the most amount of time on that subject.

On the other hand, B&M HL is sometimes seen as a "cop-out" subject, because of its perceived easiness. From what my friends say, it is not that hard of a subject, and with a little bit of work, you can easily get a 7. If you're just interested in getting maximum points, this is the way.

My advice: If you're really passionate abt VA, go for it. Otherwise, stick with B&M. In fact, try switching B&M for Economics HL!

I do both B&M and VA at HL.

I find that B&M is honestly, very very easy to get a seven in- I barely revise. If you're looking for a competitive course in uni, do Econ.

Art on the other hand, takes up a giant chunk of my time; it is possibly one of the hardest IB subjects to get a 7 in. That said, course, if you really like it and don't mind juggling your time, take it. It shows that you fulfil the IB philosophy of being well-rounded. Of course, there are a lot more pros and cons, but that's my base view of the two subjects I take.

Of course, it does block you off from some specific course, so be careful!!

Message me if you want a more in depth breakdown, perhaps? :)