Having ITGS "a soft subject" would make a difference in Medicine?

Guest ryuk1

Many people in my school dropped B&M and chose ITGS instead at IB2/didn't have difficulties to blend in.

This year I have Economics but I hate it and I'll probably get a low grade at the IB exam (I know that I also complain about language courses but even through I don't enjoy them my grades are OK, I'd probably get a 6 at both (poetry is the part I hate the most but my lowest grade from it is 74/100),

My English IA is 95/100 and my Economics IA is 7/15, yeah my economic failure is that severe. We do paper 2's in Econ and they are complete BS and the IA's are BS too. I don't get a **** from Economics , I didn't have any prior knowdelge about it and please don't say that it is one of the easy group 3's, I can just improve by studying(I don't) and how history etc is harder. I do history and geography, not as IB courses but mandatory Turkish courses and we do our examinations similar to the IB courses (especially History) they are way easier than Econ (sadly not offered in our school as IB courses). I find humanities easier than lit but economics is complete BS. Normally, I am good at Maths and good at blending Math and other subjects together but I can't even understand the demand/supply diagrams. I would just switch to ITGS at the second semester but they don't let me switch until next year. Staying at Economics is definitely not an option for me.

I will also drop Biology to SL next semester and ITGS will be my HL (there is very little difference between ITGS HL and SL) The reason I'm doing this is because

1. We study all courses at around 180 hours and doing Biology HL in a shortened schedule is real pain
  2. Only 2 people in my Bio class have HL maths and other people also have easier group 3's etc and they are also struggling even through they are in easier conditions
  3. I have maths and chemistry as my HL's and they don't have a specific demand for the third HL

Would ITGS look that bad in my application because I'll probably get a 4/7 in Econ (which won't look good either) I don't want to get in Oxbridge or something, even getting in the worst college would be fine as long as it's medicine.

well i would say if you want medicine keep biology at HL, i personally take BIo, Chem, Eng, ITGS at HL and i highly doubt that ITGS is any bad in your application (i want to study medicine too), in fact ITGS has an area dedicated to medicine and its really interesting i hope you take the right decision

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well i would say if you want medicine keep biology at HL, i personally take BIo, Chem, Eng, ITGS at HL and i highly doubt that ITGS is any bad in your application (i want to study medicine too), in fact ITGS has an area dedicated to medicine and its really interesting i hope you take the right decision

I originally chose ITGS but people persuaded me to drop it because "only %1 get a 7" BS and Economics looks really good etc. We did 2 past paper 2's as exams and I got 16/20 from both and improved my IA to 11/15 but honestly ITGS has much less workload and low barriers(50 is a 6?). Is ITGS worth covering up half of it at the summer? Honestly, I also think that ITGS and the impacts of technology are much more interesting than Eco. I had no background or an idea about eco. Lit, math etc are harder than it but econ is definitely my most boring lesson and I have no idea how people enjoy it.

Do not drop biology. All universities in the UK have it as a minimum requirement. You can drop eco it has no relevance in med applications, plus ITGS is much easier so go for it.

I made it SL this semester because my grades were failing and it had lots of workload affecting my other lessons. Also because of turkish curriculu stuff we have 200 hours of each lesson(both SL's and HL's) which caused trouble in HL as there is almost the double lab hours and topics.

The facility is the reason I want to switch to ITGS. Economics is faisable if you work but in IB time is precious and none of the group 3's offered in my school are relevant with medicine. But is it worth studying for it all summer?

ITGS and any third HL is small print if you don't take HL Biology. Got to have the basic requirements or otherwise all your other subjects are irrelevant. To apply for Medicine in the UK you need HL Chemistry and HL Biology and without those you're wasting your time completely. To my knowledge almost all medical schools now require HL Biology, unless you can find out otherwise.

HL Maths is unnecessary, unless you fancy doing it. If I were you, I'd make it HL Chemistry, HL Biology, HL Maths and then move Economics down to SL if you really are struggling with it. It'll maybe be easier to handle at SL. And after all, nobody has any prior knowledge when they take Economics. A bit of application and you'll get there. Or take up SL ITGS.

ITGS and any third HL is small print if you don't take HL Biology. Got to have the basic requirements or otherwise all your other subjects are irrelevant.

The unis I want in UK (Kings because they are keener on international students) only require Chemistry HL and Biology HL is "suggested" but Maths is accepted as the second HL instead (which isn't easy either, but has less workload). My back up plan is Hungary which has no specific requirement of SL or HL for those 2 sciences. I dropped Bio because even through I complain about almost all lessons, I get 70-80 something but in Biology at the end of the semester I started to fail and even my lab reports received very bad grades unlike Chemistry's. Because of the limited time etc, the lesson was hard for me to keep up with and I believed that I couldn't receive a 6 or even 5 in the real IB exam. The stress and the workload also hampered my other lessons and my grades overall. I spent most of my time on studying Biology and my grades only seemed to worsen in each Bio exam. Honestly with bad grades HL wouldn't give me an advantage because I wouldn't pass the requirements and SL is a piece of cake compared to HL.

Edited by ryuk1

Fair enough if you're literally only going to apply to Kings. Although if you're struggling with IB Biology, I should point out that it's probably the best and most realistic preparation for Medicine in several ways. Firstly and obviously it's relevant knowledge which will be assumed when you get to Uni, but also the style and stress of Biology is the closest to medical school, only at University it's ramped up. You have a workload in terms of topics to cover and knowledge to assimilate equivalent to the entire HL Biology syllabus approximately every 2 weeks instead of every 2 years! Medical school is basically Biology on speed and it's very stressful because of it, far more so than IB Biology. It's never intellectually hard, it's just stupid amounts to stuff into your brain.

I mean obviously the IB is a different scenario, but it's something to bear in mind.

Fair enough if you're literally only going to apply to Kings. Although if you're struggling with IB Biology, I should point out that it's probably the best preparation for Medicine in several ways. Firstly and obviously it's relevant knowledge which will be assumed when you get to Uni, but also the style and stress of Biology is identical to medical school, only at University it's ramped up. You have a workload in terms of topics to cover and knowledge to assimilate equivalent to the entire HL Biology syllabus approximately every 2 weeks instead of every 2 years! Medical school is basically Biology on speed and it's very stressful because of it, far more so than IB Biology. It's never hard, it's just stupid amounts to stuff into your brain.

I mean obviously the IB is a different scenario, but it's something to bear in mind.

I am aware and scared of the truth about med school, and "not hard but stupid amounts to stuff into your brain" might be the perfect definition of Biology. The problem is , if it was the only lesson I took, it would be easy but IB's tasks about all 6 lessons, TOK ,CAS, EE and extra mandatory Turkish lessons (History, Georgraphy etc) coming together. I'm hoping that being subject-specific would make things a little easier. And I have to aim for a good grade to go to university, but I'll probably aim for the passing grade after (hoping) I get to uni. These are just my speculations through, you're the college student