Writing Paper 1 & Paper 2 Lang Lit

I have my exams around the corner. And, this would be the first exam I'm writing. How much time would you recommend I spend making the structure + planning of the essays?

I'd done a diagnostic before. Needless to say, I spent most of the time planning and I ended up not mentioning a lot of key ideas. The book we're having Paper 2 on is 'A Streetcar Named Desire'. Any suggestions on how I might study? Also, any other pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Edited by joeking

Nobody knows how long it takes YOU to plan something... except for you. Would be my advice.

How quickly do you think up ideas? and How long does it take you to write the actual essay once you've planned it?

Then you need to divide the time up somehow bearing both in mind. If you're a slow writer then obviously spending a long time planning is a bad idea. If you write quickly then you can spend longer planning. Part of exam practice and so on is actually for you to find this out for yourself :yes: because once you know then it'll help you a lot to have that information ready for the final exam.

For my paper 1 I'd spend 5 minutes planning and for my paper 2 I used to give myself 10 minutes. Bearing in mind I did HL Lit. But other people spent different ratios of time to me and got the same marks. So go with what suits YOU.

• Like 1

I have my exams around the corner. And, this would be the first exam I'm writing. How much time would you recommend I spend making the structure + planning of the essays?

I'd done a diagnostic before. Needless to say, I spent most of the time planning and I ended up not mentioning a lot of key ideas. The book we're having Paper 2 on is 'A Streetcar Named Desire'. Any suggestions on how I might study? Also, any other pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Just quickly, for Paper 2, be careful of genre. Streetcar Named Desire is a play, not a book.

Cheers,

Just quickly, for Paper 2, be careful of genre. Streetcar Named Desire is a play, not a book.

Ah, yes. Thank you for that. And, by planning, I'd meant reading the piece as well (paper 1). I'd thought it would be weird if I were to plan for 5 minutes while someone else would plan for say half an hour.