Law/International Relations

Maks123456

Hello guys,

I'm in the process of applying to universities in Scotland at the moment.

I am applying to International Relations courses. However, my mother has been urging me quite persistently to apply to something else instead. To her, studying International Relations with law/modern languages at university is a complete waste of time which will not get me a well-paid job in the end. She insists that I direct my attention to Law courses instead.

My question is - what do you think? Will I be able to get a job afterwards? Should I follow her advice?

Any tips/advice will be of great help as I'm generally really confused atm.

Thank you!

Hello guys,

I'm in the process of applying to universities in Scotland at the moment.

I am applying to International Relations courses. However, my mother has been urging me quite persistently to apply to something else instead. To her, studying International Relations with law/modern languages at university is a complete waste of time which will not get me a well-paid job in the end. She insists that I direct my attention to Law courses instead.

My question is - what do you think? Will I be able to get a job afterwards? Should I follow her advice?

Any tips/advice will be of great help as I'm generally really confused atm.

Thank you!

You can get into law with an international relations degree with no problem whatsoever. Roughly 50% of today's newly qualified solicitors and barristers have done non-law degrees and converted into the profession.

If you have specific questions about studying Law or the legal profession in general, I urge you to look here to start you off.

If you have any other questions about law/becoming a lawyer after browsing through that thread, feel free to ask me. :)

• Like 1

I am aware of that thread, I've messaged you years before too. I was strongly for studying law at university but recently my desire has faltered into International Relations with a degree in X (unspecified). However, my question was different - what can I do for a living with an international relations degree without law?

I do International Relations at St Andrews. I was in the exact same position as you (originally going to apply for law). I plan on going to law after and most unis have a law society which helps those who aren't doing law make contact with law firms :) Message me if you have any IR questions in Scottish unis

Also, don't follow her advice. You'll be miserable if law isn't what you want to do, and you feel pressured into it

• Like 1

I too have applied for law degrees, even though I'm not entirely sure it's my passion, or that I even want to go into the legal profession post-university. If I do develop a strong aversion to law, I figure that it is entirely possible not to pursue law after doing a law degree - and anecdotally I have heard that some universities have almost half of their LLB students not enter law. I suppose in hindsight I could (maybe even should have) applied for a non-law degree like economics, but even then I'm not entirely sure I would have enjoyed it very much either. It's a bit different if I do study law in Australia, where the LLB is combined with another undergraduate degree. So, I guess I'm just trying to keep in mind that a degree is not some kind of non-binding contract to a specific profession - but yes, it is still a good idea to like what you're planning to study.

So has anyone got some anecdotes/statistics about future careers for people entering or doing a single undergraduate degree in law and not entering the legal profession? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, considering I'm planning on IR w/ Russian and Arabic, and aiming for St. Andrews, I think I'm pretty qualified to answer this (even though the advice in previous posts has been great as well) - Study what YOU want to study, because if you're passionate about it, you can find a well-paying job in it. IR can get you tons of jobs, and getting a law degree in a specialization will make you even that more qualified in the future. I'm the biggest advocate that parents can give advice, but are not allowed to determine what you should study. Its your future, its up to you.

Oh, and you should message @cjy as he's a genius at advice, and has helped me tons.

Best of luck for your future!

• Like 1