Neurosurgeon physic or no

hooman

Well, i am no expert in careers and ib subjects required, but i doubt that as a surgeon you do require physics. Most probably you are required to take Biology and Chemistry at higher level.

I would suggest looking at university requirements, but i don't think they "require" physics.Yet, if you love physics there's no harm in taking it :)

Kindest regards,

-Fiz

• Like 1

Depends on where you want to study. In the US a year of physics is required for medical schools (but it can be the easier algebra-based physics version instead of the real calculus-based physics). You don't have to take this in the IB since you have to do an undergraduate degree anyways before going to medical school. European universities sometimes require physics but I think it varies on the country. The UK usually doesn't require physics, HL chemistry is required and usually HL biology. I don't know about Canada or Australia. Your best option would be to research entry requirements for any university you're interested in and see what they require.

I could see the advantage of having some physics for neuroscience since the brain and nervous system sends electric pulses through the body (dealing with some of the electricity/magnetism topics) and the chemistry behind drugs that interact with the brain is based on atomic-level physics, but that seems more like for someone doing theoretical neuroscience research and not a practicing surgeon.

• Like 1

I am a student of ib and i want to study neurosurgoen .

Do you think i should take physic or not?

Is it useful in my career?

For medicine (at least in UK) HL Chemistry is compulsory and you need to take Biology and Math (one or preferably 2 at HL) You can also apply to medicine with physics but Biology is preferred (I know people who take Physics to get a higher grade + aim for medicine) People who do A-Levels etc also take Physics with the other sciences but I don't think that you need it considering that you can't take 3 sciences at IB. I'd say go for Biology if your career choice is certain but Physics opens other career routes as well + requires less memorization. Depends on you, actually.

• Like 1