IB score and UAI conversions- unfair or not?

schouston1991

Has anyone else noticed that the UAI score that the IB rank is equivilant to is getting lower and lower!! A few years ago what is now an 90 ish UAI score is now like an 84 ish!! (this is a bit of a rough estimate but you get the point) It's so unfair!!! we do the same amount of work, but they are making it harder and harder for us to score well!!!

What are you're thoughts on this?

Also, if where you live you have a different IB rank equivilant... such as the SATs or A levels or whatever (sorry i know that im ignorant to how other countrys and states are markded outside of the IB) are you also finding this a problem?? is it harder for you now to score well than it was a few years ago???

I think this is so unfair and that especially because the IB is so hard we should be scoring better rather than worse

-soph x

But why should the conversion really affect you? Australian universities have different requirements for IB anyway, so you only need to meet their IB requirement which I found was quite low compared to the UK.

When I applied to uni (2007) the highest I needed to get into business was 34 (Melbourne Uni). In fact, for my uni (UNSW) it was only 31 for business, and they're really good unis. If I had applied for UK unis of the same standard, it would have been along the lines of 36+. You said you want to do diplomacy which would probably involve something politics or int'l relations and I found those IB requirements are similar to business ones (again, in 2007). Perhaps the requirements have increased now, I'm not sure.

Honestly if you are a decent student who do the work properly and actually study for exams, anything under 35 shouldn't be too hard.

It's okay where I live...the Ontario marks are translated according to the IB scale. So if I get a 7, my mark will be 96-100, if I get a 6 then I'll get 90-95, etc.

Usually what ends up happening is that the IBC looks at all the students that got a 7, and then the student who had the highest mark in the course prior to the exams gets the 100 and all other students are compared to him/her and get their 99, 98, 97, 96 accordingly.

I think it's pretty fair and makes sense.

Although I still need to maintain 36 pts to get into the university of my choice, it's pretty competitive and rare in Canada, I think.