History extended essay topics?

schouston1991

I am really really stuck in finding a topic for my extended essay. Im doing it in history because i LOVE history. My problem is that i have so many topics that i want to do i can't decide on one.
I really want to do something unique that the markers will pay attention to and that they may not know mcuh about. I've been told that it is good to do a topic that is NOT inthe sylabis and tgat something like nelson mandela or australian history is good because not a lot of the markers will know about it or that not many people choose to do those ypes of things

here is what ive been thinking so far
1. nelso mandela
2. women's right in australia (to what extent is the phrase glass ceilings and stiky floors correct?)
2. the aboriginals in australia (maybe something about reconcilliation or the effects of assimilation)
3. the light horse brigde
4. propoganda (from a certain period relating to perhaps a specific war or incident)

so yeah as you can see i have a lot of ideas but nothing specific. [b]any suggestions???[/b]. what types of things has other people done, what mark did they get?

oh also, [b]what type of things are the markers looking for to give fullmarks???[/b]

and finally, how much interaction are you meant to have with your extended essay supervisor. Ive been told that some people see there's once or twice, while others see there's every three weeks?? what's the norm?

thanks a million

-soph xx

its IMPORTANT that whatever topic you choose there's LOTS of information about it. So maybe you should research these topics and see which one has lots of info. Also in history essays, the examiners tend to look for your analytical skills - i.e. make sure that your topic has info which you can analyse and take a stand on; rather than it just being a narration of a series of events. The doc. that I've attached talks about the rest of the mistakes; so make sure u don't make them :) I am meeting with my supervisor once every month and its better if you see them frequently b/c they have to write a TWO PAGE report about you (your research process, editing skills, etc)

Edited by starry-night

i think womens rights is a great topic even if you don't focus on Australia.
But remember, what my supervisor told me was to make sure that there are enough sources on the topic that you're interested in before you actually set a question because you might find yourself stuck in mud. And you've got humble for supervisor don't you? He'll expect a fair bit of interaction... but like he said last term it's up to you if you do go and see him because he won't follow up if you don't...

[quote name='schouston1991' post='19241' date='Jul 3 2008, 11:24 PM']and finally, how much interaction are you meant to have with your extended essay supervisor. Ive been told that some people see there's once or twice, while others see there's every three weeks?? what's the norm?[/quote]I suppose it's best to try to contact your supervisor every month or so I guess, just to check up on the research you're having, anything you're wondering about, if there's any problems finding information and so forth. I mean, the beginning part is really just the research and creating a good outline.

[quote name='stelaaa' post='19655' date='Jul 11 2008, 09:17 PM']i think womens rights is a great topic even if you don't focus on Australia.
But remember, what my supervisor told me was to make sure that there are enough sources on the topic that you're interested in before you actually set a question because you might find yourself stuck in mud. And you've got humble for supervisor don't you? He'll expect a fair bit of interaction... but like he said last term it's up to you if you do go and see him because he won't follow up if you don't...[/quote]Yeah, the supervisors at my school could care less to be honest since we have so many IB students it's impossible for them to keep track. It's your responsibility as a student to contact your supervisor.