URMs

Fiz

I really had no idea where to post this, so this place seems the most suitable.

Anyways, are Middle-Easterns considered URMs at top universities (underrepresented minority)?

Many conflicting ideas are found on the web, i need someone that is knowledgeable about this sort of information that can help me out

Kindest regards,

-Fiz

Probably not. Typically people of Middle Eastern descent fall under the category of "Caucasian" for applications. An underrepresented minority is usually someone who is of African or Hispanic descent or Native American/Alaskan native when it comes to US applications.

• Like 1

Underrepresented means less representation compared with the overall demographic of the US. For example the Hispanic population is 16.4% of America and yet in many top universities the percentage is a lot lower, that's why they are underrepresented. If you are an international student from the Middle East, then you will be grouped together with international students. If you have US citizenship, you are still not considered URM as Middle Eastern people are not underrepresented in the top univerities.

• Like 1