should i enter self-taught french b exam instead of english a2 sl?

Guest ryuk1

Hi, I just started IB this year and I'm quite a science /math oriented student so everything language/literature/writing/analysis based gives me hell (especially IB Languages A1-A2)

My A1 language is Turkish Lit and my school doesn't offer any other group 2 language than English A2. French/Spanish/German B and ab initio are offered only as the 6th group-elective because of the Turkish educational system's obligations for the schedule, I cannot take french B as a lesson and have to do A2 English with everyone else even if I enter the French IB exam at the end. My other lessons are all time-consuming and challenging:

Biology HL (will probably drop to SL next year, if i do it i'll take french b hl)

Chemistry HL (my only "easy" course this year)

Math HL

Economics SL(will probably take ess instead , next year)

Because universities don't care about what your SL courses are if you're applying to a science-based area as long as you offer an English qualification (TOEFL, IELTS etc), I was thinking about entering the French B SL exam instead of English A2 to get a high overall grade

because at B level, the depth of the lesson is way more shallow and you don't do any language/literature analysis (something that I can't do even in Turkish)

The problem is that I'm fluent in English and I have been studying English since I was a toddler but my French is mediocre and my current school doesn't teach French properly ( I studied at a French school for a year. It was my prep year and I only studied French whole year, then I transferred to an American school at 9th grade, now I'm a 10th grader) I wanted to take the French ab initio exam for an easy 7 but my IB coordinator doesn't let me. He doesn't let me take the English B exam either.

Even though I haven't been taught proper French since 9th grade , I went to language summer schools in France this summer and the one before. My current French level is around B2 and I was in "niveau Avancé 1" at the summer school I went to this year. My French teacher said that I'd probably get a 7 in both SL and HL. I I choose to take French , I'll take extra courses at the weekend for CAS-Creativity and start working again with my tutor.

My previous English teacher predicted me a 5 in English A2 SL. but the grades I get are around 55/100 this year in English class because we have a horrible teacher who makes us do the paper 1 at this level and grades it according to the HL rubric.(SL's and HL's do english together in mixed classed and everyone does the HL syllabus) My predicted grade for Turkish Lit is around 6(maybe 7 if I try too hard + hire a tutor for the IA)

So for medicine (I'll apply only if I get a German citizenship because there are limitations for non-EU students) or architecture, would colleges in UK care more about a higher overall grade with a decent IELTS score or a lower grade + English A2? Suggestions please!

Edited by ryuk1

I think that if you already have a B2 level in French, then it wouldn't be hard for you to pass and most probably get a decent grade in French B SL exam.

But it gets tricky if you have no English classes and want to study in UK since some unis might ask a certain grade from English. Though, maybe if you had IELTS that wouldn't be a problem. Anyways, I think you should find out what are the requirements in the universities you are applying to.

If they're ok, that you have taken no English classes than I would suggest you take French B. However, i think it would be safer to take English A2.

I think that if you already have a B2 level in French, then it wouldn't be hard for you to pass and most probably get a decent grade in French B SL exam.

But it gets tricky if you have no English classes and want to study in UK since some unis might ask a certain grade from English. Though, maybe if you had IELTS that wouldn't be a problem. Anyways, I think you should find out what are the requirements in the universities you are applying to.

If they're ok, that you have taken no English classes than I would suggest you take French B. However, i think it would be safer to take English A2.

Well because of the Turkish educational system obligations for the school schedule, I have to take the English A2 lesson and can't take the French B lesson with 2 sciences. If I choose French, I'll take external lessons at the weekend through(also counts as CAS) I'm talking about which one to choose for the actual IB exam I'll take 2 years later. Even if I choose French, I'll only take it at the exam and take the English A2 lesson at school for IB1 and IB2.

Some universities ask for A English and a minimum passing grade of 5. Some others just don't care about your IB courses and want a qualitification like IELTS etc. I have to take IELTS even if I take A2 English (a qualitifaction is mandatory for non-native applicants) It's way easier than IB lit so no problem. My IB coordinator also demanded the opinions of medicine schools and they said the same thing, doesn't matter for them as long as I have a qualification.

Which is the better option according to you guys?

1)A guaranteed 7 in French B SL with little work + time left to study for other courses

2)Some grade around 5 in English A2 + lots of time spent

Still trying to decide if an overall grade of 2-3 points higher or having English A2 would look better in an application.

So, if you choose French, you still have to go to English A2 classes? If so, this is really strange.
Well, my school gives us a bilingual diploma, so for us there is no need to take IELTS (even though, English is a second language for us).

By the way, I doubt that your French classes will count as CAS, since it will be a part of your curriculum.

As for, your final exam choice, if you're going to take IELTS either way, I'd say take French.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are B2 level French, you will be fine!! I've been taking French B SL this year, and my level is about B1 but my predicted IB grade is a 7, so I think that goes to show that you will have no trouble with French. If you're already at B2 level, then you won't need to spend as much time studying, so it may actually be better for you :)

Edited by jupiter