IOP help

Applekid

Okay so I have to do an outline for my IOP due Saturday.. I have chosen my topic, gathered about 15 quotes from the two books I am comparing (Gatsby and Heart of Darkness) so I really don't know what to do for my outline. Do I just list quotes and say what I would want to say for commentary around those lines? And how do I transition for quote to quote smoothly? Any advice would be helpful

What is your topic? :) It might help if we knew. I would maybe start with a short introduction, explaining what you're going to talk about. In my IOP, I wrote most of the quotes I used on the presentation (so that I didn't have to read the page numbers) and argued for my topic using them. I bulletpointed some of my arguments but I mostly put quotes on my presentation. Finally I just summarized what I'd said ^^

Don't know if this is of any help.. :P

Hi Applekid,

You didn't ask for this, but I think it might be worth pointing out anyway... It has to do with your q. formulation.

"Portray" shows you are on the right track (you looking at literary representation, highly relevant to your assignment) but "impact" and "society" sounds vague and will be hard to argue. It kind of departs from the works as well. How about simply discussing the implied attitudes towards women in these different accounts? You will be on more solid ground. Or you could discuss the role of women in these two stories - what part do they play in the narrative and what does this suggest about the ideal reader (the one the author thought he was writing for ... )... Good luck