Subject choices for architecture

bluesocks

I am on pre-IB right now and I'm going to have to choose my IB subjects in January. I'm interested in architecture and I want to study it when I'm finished with IB DP. Here are the subjects that I'm planning on taking:

Group 1: Finnish: literature HL, English: language and literature HL

Group 3: History SL

Group 4: Physics HL

Group 5: Mathematics SL

For group 6, we have to choose one more subject from any group. I'm planning on taking psychology SL.

The problem is that universities require at least art SL from IB students but my school doesn't offer it. I draw (mostly realistic portraits) a lot during my free time and I'm going to be taking some art courses from the national side for CAS but I've heard that many universities don't care. What should I do? Do I have any chance of getting into a good school to study architecture?

Also, what do you guys think of my subject choises? Would you change anything? I'm kind of worried about English HL. English is my second language and it still is a lot weaker than my first language (Finnish). Do you think I will survive?

Edited by sinij

Your subject choices for Architecture also depend on which country you're looking at for UG.

If it's UK, as per my knowledge they require Art as one of your subjects.
In US though, most of the good universities need you to take Math HL and Physics HL and submit a portfolio of your art work.

Please be more specific to get the best of help. :balloon:

I was thinking of Scotland, but I'm still kind of unsure. I was just looking at the entry requirements of Edinburgh College of Art (http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees?id=k100&cw_xml=degree.php) and it says that "evidence of artistic ability is required". What does that exactly mean? That I have to submit a portfolio or that I have to have a grade? Because it doesn't mention any art grades. :dontgetit:

• 2 weeks later...

histroy is going to kill you. seriously. i see my friends on history and i'm happy i didn't take it. it's so much learning by heart...

if you're worried about english a, i've heard that hl and sl a languages don't differ that much. however, english b and a differ. b is easier. unless you're very much into literature.

if i were you i'd switch hl physics and sl math to hl math and sl physics. hl math opens more courses than physics hl, e.g. economics-related ones or computing. and physics hl does not make sense without math hl for unis (math hl+physics hl= engineering or physics course). it is just a hard hl that'll get you nowhere.

unfortunatelly, many unis don't care about your drawings outside v.a. lessons, but many care about your portfolio. just search for them.

I think I can deal with history. I find it interesting and I'm pretty great at memorizing stuff. Besides, I don't really have a choice.

We're not allowed take English as a B language. Also, I am really into literature. I was thinking of taking LangLit hough. This way there wouldn't be that much reading. That's be too much, especially when I'm taking Finnish A Literature.

My school requires me to get at least an 8 on pre-IB math if I'm planning on choosing math HL. For some reason (I really don't know why... I used to have a 10 in math), I'm struggling with math and I have a 7... So HL isn't going to happen.

I'm getting kind of frustrated here...

I was going to ask the same thing. My school does offer both Arts and Physics, but I didn't take them because I chose my lessons according to medicine but it's hard to get in because of the restrictions for non-EU students. Architecture is my back up plan. Would I get in a good university of architecture with just an external portfolio? My IB coordinator and overseas counselor both told me that it's not a problem for UK because all my courses are science-based/challenging and they would understand if I say that I chose my lessons according to medicine and a portfolio is enough.

I think I can deal with history. I find it interesting and I'm pretty great at memorizing stuff. Besides, I don't really have a choice.

We're not allowed take English as a B language. Also, I am really into literature. I was thinking of taking LangLit hough. This way there wouldn't be that much reading. That's be too much, especially when I'm taking Finnish A Literature.

My school requires me to get at least an 8 on pre-IB math if I'm planning on choosing math HL. For some reason (I really don't know why... I used to have a 10 in math), I'm struggling with math and I have a 7... So HL isn't going to happen.

I'm getting kind of frustrated here...

Does your school offer Art History instead of History? And I also heard that SL Physics/HL Math is more preferable for architecture. Maybe talk with your school?