Math HL or Math SL?

emshgr

I really want to do some form of engineering or computer science and I know a lot of courses require math HL but I was just curious as to what your percentage mark/ score in pre-IB was and what math you decided to take. Also how hard did/do you find the course? Thank-you in advance! :blowkiss:

I took Math SL and it isnt difficult at all. However, I think you should score at least a 6 or 7 to get accepted in a university for those kind of careers. Definetely Math HL is more difficult but it would be of better usage for you so its up to you.

What did you get in 10th grade math before the diploma ?

Generally a high score would be better, but it's not really that easily comparable. I actually found myself scoring higher in HL Maths compared to what I got in MYP (grade 10), largely because I felt the questions were less fiddly, so to speak. It differs based on the person though, I personally know a few people who did very well in MYP, but struggled when taking it at HL.

The best way to find out in my opinion, is to take the course and see for yourself. You can always start with 4HL's, which gives the flexibility of opting out if necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

If you took your IGCSEs, the best piece of advice I can give you is that if you took Additional Maths, then go ahead and do HL! If not, it'll be too tough! I did take Additional, and so many topics overlap. I got an A in it last year and am finding HL manageable yet VERY TOUGH! Pick wisely, hope I helped, feel free to ask me for anything else! :) xx