How to structure a SWOT?

Hello!

I am stuck, and I hope you can share some great advice!

I am currently working on my business EE, and I am doubtful how to structure my SWOT. Should I make a table and add points? then discuss it later on or should I make a sub heading for each letter, eg. strength , and then discuss the strength further under the heading?

I am going to use the swot to determine the success of a marketing strategy, and for further analysis in a porters generic strategy analysis.

I hope you can help me :)

Hi,

I did a SWOT for my EE.

The way I did it was in paragraph form, with a heading for each thing, choosing one key strength (in saying that I did do 3 strengths, but one of each of the others!) to focus on and analysing it, as by bullet pointing it you don;t get that level of analysis otherwise.

I got predicted an A for mine. Here's an example of what I did:

Opportunities

The acquisition of Formica has provided a potentially powerful opportunity, the developing laminates market in Asia. This is evident as China’s economy was growing at a rate of 9.5% in 2010 (New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, 2010). If the LPD is able to exploit this opportunity successfully it could lead to a significant increase in SR. This coupled with Formica’s current production facilities in Asia - as long as these are also expanded to meet the growing demand - should lead to dramatic increases in EBITDA.

Hope that helps! Any questions don't be afraid to ask!

• Like 2

Thank you soo much!! your answer cleared everything up! :D

if you have time, can you answer one more question? if so, did you refer to the SWOT throughout the essay, or just to give an overview? I am thinking of refering to my swot through my porters generic strategy analysis, but I am afraid of repetition.

Quite alright. I think that should be fine. For example in my SWOT I mentioned the lack of product development (Ansoff Matrix), then later on discussed the Ansoff Matrix. But don't just repeat the same thing each time if you know what I mean, or else you will run out of words!

Edited by Danyon Thomas