Math R

Max Herems

Hi, I'm a student in year two of the program. We got back our math results over the summer, (so it's been a while since then), but I am still having trouble getting over my results.

You see, I was predicted a level seven in math last year. I always maintained a mid-low 90 and I got 17/20 on both my portfolios. I felt pretty set, and confident about getting that final seven in math.

However, I failed. I ended up with a six. Worst of all, most of the people around me, who were -not to seem condescending in anyway- much worse at math than I was (I was always the guy they came to for help) ended up with sevens. That's two 98s on their belts, to bring to university.

I received a 95. It's not a low mark, but not really amazing or exceptional. It is easily attainable at the regular level. One of the main reasons I feel so bad about this is that math was my best subject. And now there's nothing I can do to change it. Biology, chemistry and english are are much harder to get sevens in, and the way this year has progressed so far in terms of my grades isn't helping. It's as if since I got the six in math, all my marks started spiralling downwards.

I feel like such a jealous loser writing this, but I need people to talk about it with. Has this happened to anyone else? Is 95 still high enough in Canada to get into good universities and good programs (e.g. Waterloo mech eng, McGill life sci, etc.) ? So many people around me are getting high 90s -even people I'd never expected- so I'm beginning to lose hope in myself.

I know that this is a stupid thread. I know it's pathetic. But I'd really like to have some people to to talk to about this.

I'm slightly confused here, but I'm not too sure what exactly you achieved. What exactly are the numbers 90, 95, 98? Are they the raw points you got in the paper, or an overall percentage? Also, is this SL or HL? Also, you state your exams to be in May 2013, but you also mention you are in your second year. Have you finished the IB, or was the results from a mock? (sorry for all the questions, but I don't think I've fully understood the situation here)

I'm sorry to hear about your results, though I do think a 6 is a perfectly respectable grade. It's by no means average really, so I really wouldn't worry too much about it.

For university applications and such however, why not ask them directly? I'm not really familiar with the Canadian system and all, but universities are generally happy to respond to your questions, so I do think it'll be worth sending them an email and asking about what kind of applicants they are expecting. Also by the way, what other subjects are you taking? You mentioned mechanical engineering, but you don't seem to be taking physics...

I think it's completely natural to be having these feelings, and whilst it does feel bad getting a 6 when you were expecting/wanting a 7, it's just something that you've got to learn to deal with and move on from. :) I haven't experienced the exact same situation, but I do kinda know what it feels like to expect to get something and then not get it - it's disappointing and you can't help but get a bit envious. Firstly, I don't think a 6 is a "fail" at all - note that the average grade for IB maths is about Grade 4.6-4.9 depending on whether you do Studies/SL/HL - so you are well above the average. Comparing yourself to those around you is good if it motivates you, but if it's not.. then stop comparing yourself to them. Just remember that it's doing your personal best that counts.

Secondly, use this situation to your advantage. Remember all these negative feelings that you have right now and push yourself to achieve the best you can in your other subjects so you don't ever have to feel like this again. Bio, chem and english might seem like harder subjects to get a 7 in, but it is still achievable if you work hard! Learn from this and realise that generally, hardworking people have a much greater chance of success than the smart but lazy people.

Thirdly, it's just a mark. In another 2 years or something you'll be doing something else and this won't really matter. I can assure you that in another 5 or 10 or 20 years time nobody will even care. I mean, if you are really desperate to get a 7 at maths you could always re-do it, but I don't think that's something you're considering.. Also, obviously in doing the IB you want to get all Grade 7s, but the IB is also about learning, about doing the best you can, and about so much more than just marks. Now I also don't know much about universities, but I'm sure there are still plenty of good universities and good programs that you could apply for. Don't lose hope and believe in yourself! It's tough to deal with this and it's natural to feel the way you do, but try to see it more positively - use it as a situation to learn from. :)

Edited by bluedino

Why are you beating yourself up over a 6? A 6 is much higher than most people score anyways, and that's a score to be proud of. Of course it's not a 7, but it's still great. And if you were doing very well all year in math and were predicted a 7 and got a 6, you were probably very close to a 7 anyways and missed it by just a few marks. And since you can't change anything about your grade now, why are you letting it affect your other subjects? Really, it's time to move on. Focus on your other subjects, and do as well as you can in those. When you see high marks in those, you'll feel better about yourself.

I'm not too sure about how Canadian schools work, but there should be tons of programs still open to you. If you're unsure, look at websites or give them a call and ask them directly.

@ctrls
I am in grade 12, and we finish math in grade 11 -don't we usually refer to that as year two of IB? Maybe I have it wrong. I am talking about the real thing, not a mock exam. If that were the case I would still be able to do something about it. And yes, this is SL I'm talking about. Also, don't worry about asking me questions at all, I'm the asking for help, right? :P

What is a respectable grade is a relative thing I guess O_O

Oh, and I am taking physics, but at a regular level in one of my spare. Not at the IB level. I took to keep my options open.

I guess I should investigate the universities at the source. How should I go about doing it? Internet research leads me to different answers. Maybe I should call them? I wonder if they'll actually pick up...

To clear up the mark thing, I ended up with a 95 since I was predicted a seven, but got a six. The mark for those who get a seven got a 98-97, based off of their predicted mark.

@blue dino, emmi

Thanks for motivation, I know I sound whiny. It's just so many people around me did better than me, it's hard to forget and just move on. I guess I'm a weak person.

Edited by Max Herems