English World Lit Books: the House of Spirts or One hundred years of solitude

We had "The House of the Spirits" as one of our world literature works in Swedish A1. I love that book, Allende is an excellent writer. She uses language beautifully and her characters are very credible.

Yeah I read that book in Spanish for AP Spanish Literature and it was excellent. If you read spanish, you should check out some of her other works...(probably available in English too, but something is always lost in translation :) )

Is Anyone Studying the House of Spirts or One hundred years of solitude?

If so whats your thoughts on them??

Whats everyone studying for theirs??

I have read One Hundred Years of Solitude (Cien Anos de Soledad) in English and Spanish and its a great novel, albeit really long. You have to really appreciate Marquez' use of magical realism in that novel.

We had "The House of the Spirits" as one of our world literature works in Swedish A1. I love that book, Allende is an excellent writer. She uses language beautifully and her characters are very credible.

We read "The House of the Spirits" in Swedish as well. I used it for my world lit, and compared it to Pride and Prejudice. I really liked the book; Allende is a wonderful writter.

We read "The House of the Spirits" in Swedish as well. I used it for my world lit, and compared it to Pride and Prejudice. I really liked the book; Allende is a wonderful writter.

I did the same thing, haha! What aspect did you compare? I focused on Elizabeth's repsectively Santiago's heroic characteristics.

I did the same thing, haha! What aspect did you compare? I focused on Elizabeth's repsectively Santiago's heroic characteristics.

I focused on the aspect of marriage and the different views found in both books. It was pretty easy - Pride and Prejudice mainly focuses on marriage after all, haha.

• 1 month later...

my english class SL read 'house of spirits'

i really liked it - even though some parts of it were a bit bluntly violent and way too vivid.

& i read hundred years of solitude on my own - which i also liked

the thing about spanish writers, i think, is that they have often write their stories portraying gender roles.

like in house of spirits - the women, the more intuitive, had special powers and characteristics, whereas the men have other distinguishable features

and, well i really don't remember garcia's book that much - its been so long, but with ursula and her motherly figure.

• 1 month later...