Appropriate subject matter for Visual Arts Project?

smileyade

I want to know what we are allowed to use in our art projects. More specifically, if I wanted to use a Disney character or reference in one of my projects, is that legal? The artist I am researching does a lot of artwork for Disney, and I wanted to know if that's ok for IB. Would I have to give credit to Disney in some way?

I think it's ok to use some characters from Disney partially for your artworks.

However I think it's really essential to imply your own unique character in you artwork no matter how much you have been inspired by the Disney style.

Do not copy every single style from the Disney but just think it as one of the factors that enriches your artworks.

Oh, don't forget to include the research about that artist in your scrapbook since that will bring merit to your grades at the end.

Asking advice to your teacher will be even better.

Cheers!

You can do pretty much whatever you want, but you aren't necessarily going to get the best grades. You need to discuss art from different cultures and different time periods. So you could, for example, compare Disney with an animation company in another country / culture, or you could discuss Disney in comparison with how it started out.

In general, I would try and steer clear of things like that - go for more in depth things. The deeper thinking, the more the IB loves it!

• 3 months later...

It is not only legal, but if done in a right way, brilliant.

There are number of art techniques which simply involve using someone else's images. e.g the surrealist Collage - which can be divided into numerous categories including Cubomania etc.

Look at Warhol - the artist used everyday objects, photographs, symbols, people and his work has had an enormous influence on late XX century art.

Make sure however you have a good reason to do it. Have a clear purpose of your artwork - why are you copying a Disney Princess? Are you trying to transform the well-known image into something new? Are you trying to shock/intrigue the viewer by the context in which the well-known Princess is put in?

Your work should be well-justified and you should have a clear message you are trying to bring across. Using well-known symbols or pictures usually refers to an attempt to transform what is known(for everyone) into something new; on setting new demands on reality; changing the way in which we perceive the world.

As long as you do that you should be fine.

You certainly will have to acknowledge the original creator. Do that in the bottom of your work (once you scan it into the computer -> all projects are send as digital pictures) as well as in the workbook.

Good Luck