Looking To Pursue Medicine in the USA-Tips Please?!

Limitless

Hello Everyone,

I have started the IB diploma program this September, and so far am coping pretty alright with my subjects that I have choosen. My goal for the future really is to pursue Medicine in the United states/Canada. I am taking the following subjects:

-Biology HL

-Chemistry HL

-Geography HL

English (Lang/Lit) SL

Maths SL (Phew)

French SL

Now I understand that these subjects are suitable for the premed program, as instructed by my school counselor, however I am very confused as to how medical works in the United States.

If somebody who is interested in science or medicine in particular could lend me a hand by telling me:

1. If my subject choices chosen are alright- should I take something better or 4 hL'S?
  2. What are general requirements I would need to complete in IB to enter the program?
  3. What is the process, so like how does the pre-med program work- why the extra years compared to other countries?
  4. Could you suggest some good extra-curricular activities that will interest a pre-med school?
  5. Do you have any good pre-med schools I could apply to later- some which are decent aswell, as a fallback plan :P

Also a really big issue I face is the fact that being an international student, alot of internet sources say that after pre-med, I will find it very hard to enroll into med school because I am not a citizen. This worries me alot and if someone who is doing the program or has done it could help me out on this, because If this is the case I feel it is best to change my field of interest, because there is no point in applying as an international student when the acceptance rate is less than 2% if lucky. Or If I do move to the USA now and manage to get some sort of green card in the next few years before med school, would my chances be higher and would I count as applying as a citizen?

I am really confused at the moment. I have tried to talk to my local counselor and friends, however most of them are pretty much clueless about medicine in the USA and Canada, and with the option of subject changing coming to an end, I feel it is best for me to get clear before its too late.

Though I am new I enjoy forums alot, so I am going to be a frequent poster on this forum. I'd love if you have any information or could help me out, and perhaps would like to chat or something-please feel free to message me. And vice versa, If I see that you need help I won't hesitate to message you :)

Thanks

-Limitless-

I can't really answer your questions about what to do after pre-med (the stuff in bold), but I'll help you out a bit on your first few questions.

1. It doesn't matter what you have for your subjects, as long as you're taking good prerequisites for most of your classes (biology and chemistry, and English). In college IB courses mostly just cover first year introductory courses anyways, so you'll still be taking a lot of classes. In addition, depending on how your college does general education requirements, you may have to take some courses anyways. 4 HLs don't really do any advantage for you, nor do switching out your subjects. Keep what you have if you're doing well.

2. You'll apply to US universities during the beginning of your IB2 year. In addition to your IB predicted scores/grades, you'll submit the SAT or ACT, some letters of recommendation, a list of your activities, and answer any essays you might have to write. This is usually due sometime in the winter or early spring at the latest. US colleges tend to give out more unconditional offers than conditional offers, so once you're accepted to a school, you just need to keep up your grades and finish school and you're good to go. Just complete the IB diploma and score well and you should be fine.

3. Pre-med is just an area of concentration intended to show that you're considering professional school later on. Generally you work with an adviser who helps you keep track of your requirements for medical school and makes sure you're doing things that would boost your odds of getting in. You can major in anything you want actually, it doesn't have to be a science like biology. Most people do pick something like biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or something like that because a lot of the classes for these degrees overlap with medical school requirements, but if you really wanted to study something like English and fulfill all the medical school requirements through electives you could do that too. Some people study something like engineering for their undergrad because getting a good job with just a bachelor's degree in biology or chemistry is very tough, so they have something to fall back on in case it doesn't work out. I don't know why it isn't direct admissions into medical school, it would save people a lot of time and money and makes more sense.

4. Any extracurricular activity is good, so do whatever you like. Join clubs, do a sport, do volunteer work, whatever.

5. Most schools have a pre-med program, you just need to look at which have the better ones (i.e. what is the average number of students who are pre-med that get into a medical school? The higher the percentage, the better) in addition to other factors like size, cost, and location. Do some research. I can't really offer any off the top of my head since I'm not a premed student and never was.

Good luck :)

• Like 1

I can't really answer your questions about what to do after pre-med (the stuff in bold), but I'll help you out a bit on your first few questions.

1. It doesn't matter what you have for your subjects, as long as you're taking good prerequisites for most of your classes (biology and chemistry, and English). In college IB courses mostly just cover first year introductory courses anyways, so you'll still be taking a lot of classes. In addition, depending on how your college does general education requirements, you may have to take some courses anyways. 4 HLs don't really do any advantage for you, nor do switching out your subjects. Keep what you have if you're doing well.

2. You'll apply to US universities during the beginning of your IB2 year. In addition to your IB predicted scores/grades, you'll submit the SAT or ACT, some letters of recommendation, a list of your activities, and answer any essays you might have to write. This is usually due sometime in the winter or early spring at the latest. US colleges tend to give out more unconditional offers than conditional offers, so once you're accepted to a school, you just need to keep up your grades and finish school and you're good to go. Just complete the IB diploma and score well and you should be fine.

3. Pre-med is just an area of concentration intended to show that you're considering professional school later on. Generally you work with an adviser who helps you keep track of your requirements for medical school and makes sure you're doing things that would boost your odds of getting in. You can major in anything you want actually, it doesn't have to be a science like biology. Most people do pick something like biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or something like that because a lot of the classes for these degrees overlap with medical school requirements, but if you really wanted to study something like English and fulfill all the medical school requirements through electives you could do that too. Some people study something like engineering for their undergrad because getting a good job with just a bachelor's degree in biology or chemistry is very tough, so they have something to fall back on in case it doesn't work out. I don't know why it isn't direct admissions into medical school, it would save people a lot of time and money and makes more sense.

4. Any extracurricular activity is good, so do whatever you like. Join clubs, do a sport, do volunteer work, whatever.

5. Most schools have a pre-med program, you just need to look at which have the better ones (i.e. what is the average number of students who are pre-med that get into a medical school? The higher the percentage, the better) in addition to other factors like size, cost, and location. Do some research. I can't really offer any off the top of my head since I'm not a premed student and never was.

Good luck :)

Thank You So Much! This clarifies alot of my doubts :) Oh and If in your college ( if your graduated ib) you know any international med kids I could get in touch with to get to know college life, and how it is as whole.

Thanks

-Limitless-

Thank You So Much! This clarifies alot of my doubts :) Oh and If in your college ( if your graduated ib) you know any international med kids I could get in touch with to get to know college life, and how it is as whole.

Thanks

-Limitless-

No problem, always happy to help. I'm friends with a couple of international students, but none that did the IB. You might want to try a forum or something, that would probably be your best bet. :)