Commentaries

This summer I got a whole lot of work to do

- do my extended essay (which will be on Salvador Allende's presidency) but this isn't the focus of my ranting today

- I must read [u]I know why the caged bird sings[/u] and [u]Things fall apart[/u].
I've got to write three commentaries on Caged Bird, one dealing with Imagery, another with Angelou's use of diction/figurative language, and a last one for a personal discovery/realization.
For TFA, I've got to write two commentaries; one on Achebe's use of Imagery proverbs/Ibo vocabulary and another on Achebe's use of foils.
The interesting thing is that WE [the students] select our own passages and do the commentaries based on our selection...I find this somewhat nervewrecking.

There's a minimum word count of about 400 words, yet I'm concerned that there is too much to cover and I will surely pass over and write too much. I see the helpful guides but I feel that they do not help enough.

Any advice? Thanks

=]

Min. 400 words sounds like a really low limit... You don't have an upper one?
Btw, if you haven't read I Know Why the Caged Birds Sings already, I warn you - I didn't find that reading experience very pleasurable, you would think that Angelou's tragic childhood would be interesting to read about, but unfortunately I am not too touched by the literary piece; her language is simple and she doesn't use language in the best way possible to add something extra to her story. However, that is of course only my opinion, I am sure many people would disagree (I have a tendency to disagree with the whole world about books), probably you too :) Things Fall Apart on the other hand, is an interesting story because it shows historical things from another perspective, I really felt that I gained knowledge and understanding from that piece of work, Achebe's use of Ibo language adds a lot of credibility.

[OK, I know you didn't ask for my opinions, but since you mentioned this books, I thought it would be interesting to see what others think about them]

I did a commentary on Things Fall Apart and I *think* it's about imagery, cant remember. Anyway it's in the download section if you want to have a look. I just can't remember which part of the book its from exactly (like in term of page number) but I mentioned the context...

Not sure how this will help you though...

Anyway if the minimum is 400 then you can go over right? And if you just pick a very small (minuscule ;) ) extract to comment on I'm sure you won't need to go over 600. :P

Even in exam time I'd say you can write a lot more than 400 words...if there isn't an upper limit then I say just write as much as you can.

• 4 weeks later...