IB Subject Selection

Rachel L

Hi I'll be starting the IB Diploma next February in Australia, and I would appreciate it if someone could help me with my subject selections.

You see, I really want to do a subject like Geography or Economics but people keep advising me to take Double Sciences (Biology and Chemistry) instead.

And I'm not really a science-y person. So should I be taking double sciences at HL just to keep my options open for university?

So far, I'm stuck between:

English A HL/SL

Maths SL

Japanese B SL

Chemistry HL/SL

Biology HL/SL

Economics HL

Geography HL

and ESS! ( which i really want to do cause I actually find it interesting :P )

I'm so confused and the college needs my subject selections as soon as possible, so any help would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you!

Don't go for science just because someone tells you to, biology and chemistry are difficult subjects and require a lot of work, you won't get good grades unless you're really into them. And that's not for sure either XD On the other hand, think about what you wanna do in the future and do some research to find out what you need for that.

To be honest, I don't see why you would need to take two sciences if you aren't interested in that kind of a field. At least for the UK, most top universities only specify taking a subject of two at HL that is relevant to the course (if they do at all), the rest isn't too important. Universities do understand that you can't make up your mind from such an early stage, so their requirements typically state the bare minimum anyways. Since two sciences at HL will require a lot of work as mentioned above, I would only recommend it if you are really interested in them.

If you want to do Eco, Geo and ESS, then I don't see why not.

I wouldn't go for science, especially if I wasn't interested in it.

I'm not sure exactly in what you're interested in just remember that HL means harder marking and harder courses (more information)

English A - HL

Japanese B - SL

Math - SL

Chemistry OR Biology OR Physics (not sure if you have this option) - HL

Economics - HL

Geography - SL

I would think that would be a good course selection (I'm sorry I'm not sure what ESS is)

When choosing remember you need 3 HL courses if I'm not mistaken.

If you are not into sciences, do not take them. Simple. You can just take ESS. However i'd advise you not to take ESS and Geography. I have many classmates doing so and they say that ESS is mostly Biology and Geography together. So if you take ESS most of geo will be useless. Instead I would go for either :

-History if you are good at memorizing things

-Philosophy if it interest you (and it is offered, at my school it isn't)

-ITGS if you are into technology

-Psychology, but since you said that science isn't your thing, I would stay away from it

English HL

Economics HL

History HL

Maths SL

ESS SL

Japanese B SL

Seems pretty awesome to me! It opens the doors of every humanity-business courses! But if you want to take geography instead of history, go ahead, they are both great choices