Action hours (PLEASE HELP)

ihateib1

Hi, I really needed some help with my action hours. I have read some of the forums in here and most of them indicate of doing a sport and accumulating them. However, I don't get how you can write up a proposal, make logs and reflective statement on being in the team. I am in my schools varsity soccer team and I really want to use it as my action part of CAS. Please give me some info, all help would be much appreciated!!!!

I got 150 hours from being in various sports teams - it's a great idea!

Just make sure that in your proposal, you emphasise it as an interesting and challenging experience.

e.g. for soccer, i mentioned trying new positions and setting myself new personal best goals for the drills.

As for reflective statements/logs, make one after every second game or so, discussing what you could have improved on and what you did well.

• Like 1

I got 150 hours from being in various sports teams - it's a great idea!

Just make sure that in your proposal, you emphasise it as an interesting and challenging experience.

e.g. for soccer, i mentioned trying new positions and setting myself new personal best goals for the drills.

As for reflective statements/logs, make one after every second game or so, discussing what you could have improved on and what you did well.

Hi, thanks for the information. But would you care to explain what the action part must consist of, because i don't think my coordinator is doing a great job at it. For instance, I did tutoring for Algebra I after school for freshmen, and I thought that my creation of lesson plans would go under creativity and me actually teaching them would count under service. However, he said that me actually teaching them is action and service, basically saying that I can put 1 hour under for service and 1 hour under action, if I teach for 1 hour. Can you please explain. Thanks

• Creativity is interpreted broadly to include a wide range of arts activities as well as the creativity students demonstrate in designing and implementing service projects.

Action can include not only participation in individual and team sports but also taking part in expeditions and in local or international projects.

Service encompasses a host of community and social service activities. Some examples include helping children with special needs, visiting hospitals and working with refugees or homeless people.

Those points above are taken from the official IB website. Your tutoring would count as creativity and service. It is definitely not action!

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the information. But would you care to explain what the action part must consist of, because i don't think my coordinator is doing a great job at it. For instance, I did tutoring for Algebra I after school for freshmen, and I thought that my creation of lesson plans would go under creativity and me actually teaching them would count under service. However, he said that me actually teaching them is action and service, basically saying that I can put 1 hour under for service and 1 hour under action, if I teach for 1 hour. Can you please explain. Thanks

Okay, your coordinator definitely seems to be thinking the wrong things! My coordinator isn't the best but he is extremely experienced with CAS and flexible as well so I've learnt one thing - you can put any activity under any of the three aspects (CAS) IF you can persuade your coordinator, through basically bull****ting :P

e.g. I needed more Creativity hours than Action hours so when I wrote my proposal for my dance class, I said that I was involved with choreographing and learning new skills, so it counted as Creativity. I tried to be very convincing, and my coordinator accepted!

So anyways, your tutoring would definitely count under Creativity and Service and not Action. You just need to convince your teacher that, using whatever you need to... the IB syllabus, the IB learner profiles etc :P

• Like 1