No Western Influence in Musical Investigation

Determination45

Hi everyone,

I am currently doing my Musical Investigation assignment. I've been researching for a year through piles and piles of different pieces, but with the two that I am now analysing, I found that for one of them I cannot find score at all and my teacher cannot give assistance to that.

The problem is that one of my pieces is Chinese folk music that is written for usage in a film, it is difficult to find a piece that match it well in terms of musical links and whenever I find a piece that I think is suitable, my teacher would disagree because it has "Western influence". According to him we are not supposed to have ANY influence from the West for our MI?

I think that's highly unreasonable if it is true because in the society today we cannot say that anything is not influenced by another culture......anyone know about the rules for the MI?

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to say, I'm thinking of comparing Chinese film music "分骨肉" (sings about the parting of blood relations that is forever) with "Schindler's List" film music. They are quite similar in atmosphere and content. Would that work?

Edited by Determination45

It is true that the Musical Links Paper is to be unrelated to Western Music. The purpose of the paper is to contrast the music of different cultures outside of the European influence, which is entirely possible. Typically the more recent the music, the more Western, however.

Since you are comparing film music, which is in itself a western idea, it will be difficult to find music without western influence.

Check out Miklos Rozza, he was a Hungarian film composer.

You always have the option of resorting to folk music.

• Like 1