Start Math HL at second Year

Guest KingGeorge

Guest KingGeorge

Hey IBSurvivaler ;),

I have a serious problem: I just started into the final round of IB, and I began thinking about applying to university.

I have 4 HL right now: Eco, B&M, English B and Chem, however, as I found out, the universities where I planned

to apply require Maths HL if I want to go for Economics!

I'm not that bad in Math (between 6 and 7), but I did it in SL for the last year. Do you think it is possible to start Math HL

now and finish it with an appropriate grade (5 or higher) if I throw myself into it?? I would drop Chem HL then!!

Greetings, George

I think it's a lot of material to catch up on with so much stress from all your other subjects at the moment. What universities are you looking to apply to for Economics? I don't necessarily think the course would need HL Math, you can learn the material in your first year of uni instead. But I understand some elite unis will require it.

It's highly possible if you've a good mentor and understand the concept. However, you must be ready to put in a lot of effort and dedication and be ready to sacrifice a couple of hours a day solving problems and rehearsing. A 7 in math SL is considered as a 4 in HL, so you'll have a bit to work with even though math is easy for you!

Good luck! :)

Although I agree with the two other posters (not sure about the 7 in SL being a 4 at HL though), it will come at the sacrifice of other subjects. You will end up burning yourself out and not performing as well all around. Having changed subjects halfway through, I wouldn't advise it to anyone.