WT2 Experiences or recommendations?

Hello!

I will be writing a Written Task 2 soon and I was wondering what other people had experienced when having to write this essay. How complicated is it? Is it better to write it on a literature piece or in an article from the language part? Which of the questions did you choose?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, one of the more fun and easiest ways to do Task 2 is to look at how a group is represented in a text or image (commercials are good for this). You have six broad questions and this fulfils one of them. You would analyze the text/image and link it to the issue of power and privilege. This could work for both literature and non-lit., so you are free to decide which on the basis of what makes itself most readily available to you.

So...to pursue "Power and Privilege", the main question is

1. How and why is a social group represented in a particular way?

By way of example, you could

- study and analyse an article in which an urban tribe is represented in a negative way

-examine the representation of social groups in the novel The Yacoubian Building by Alaa al Aswany (imagining this is one of the lit. options in your course)

A good person to read to help you tackle the concept of "power and representation", by the way, is Edward Said's "Orientalism. " A synopsis of it on google will do, if you have too little time to read the book. Looking him up, at least, will give you a handle on some pretty crucial ideas for this subject.

see you around, MainNostrand!

Edited by Blackcurrant

Hi, one of the more fun and easiest ways to do Task 2 is to look at how a group is represented in a text or image (commercials are good for this). You have six broad questions and this fulfils one of them. You would analyze the text/image and link it to the issue of power and privilege. This could work for both literature and non-lit., so you are free to decide which on the basis of what makes itself most readily available to you.

So...to pursue "Power and Privilege", the main question is

1. How and why is a social group represented in a particular way?

By way of example, you could

- study and analyse an article in which an urban tribe is represented in a negative way

-examine the representation of social groups in the novel The Yacoubian Building by Alaa al Aswany (imagining this is one of the lit. options in your course)

A good person to read to help you tackle the concept of "power and representation", by the way, is Edward Said's "Orientalism. " A synopsis of it on google will do, if you have too little time to read the book. Looking him up, at least, will give you a handle on some pretty crucial ideas for this subject.

see you around, MainNostrand!

Thanks for the tips! Yes, I was actually going to do one of the questions in the "Power and Priviledge" area, but the other one. The one that talks about "Which social groups are marginalized, excluded or silenced within the text?" I am focusing on an essay the talks about the use of a native language in the highlands of my country and how social strata are formed, taking speaking that language into account.