Series & DE question (Option)

flinquinnster

I'm getting particularly stuck on a convergence question from an option topic (series and differential equations - still old syllabus pre-2014). If anybody can shed light on how line 2 becomes 3, that would be much appreciated. I don't get how the cube root becomes that infinite series! The question should also be attached as well.

Ah, Maths HL. This option topic/paper 3 makes me regret it all...

post-76230-0-22520400-1377246127.png

post-76230-0-44932000-1377246133.png

• Like 2

Wow, it's reassuring to know that somebody else has gotten stuck on this! This is from a May'08 paper, so it should be new syllabus, weirdly enough. I honestly don't think that there are any infinite series we are given for cube root expansions or fractional power expansions, so I don't get how this line comes about. I was maybe thinking some kind of Maclaurin expansion, but that doesn't seem right either. I think I've seen similar questions as this as some kind of fractional binomial expansion, but I honestly don't know. I think that I'm just going to leave this question, despite the examiners' report suggesting that all this question took was some simple 'algebraic manipulation'.

• 2 weeks later...