Musical features of Scottish Folk Music - Musical Investigation

IgnisRexLeo

Hi guys,

I've started my Musical Links Investigation (SL) and tried to draw links between two elements each of Scottish Folk Music and a Hindustani Classical Raga.

After tons of researching, I think I've found the ideal links:

1. Microtonalities in Scottish music and Shrutis (basically a Hindi name for the microtone) in the Raga

2. Usage of the pentatonic in both forms

But now I have encountered a slight problem. While I am able to find information for the Raga in abundance, I am not able to come across any relevant information regarding the following (which I need desperately!!)

1. The significance, use and purpose of microtones in Scottish Folk Music.

2. The purpose of pentatonic scale usage.

If someone has any knowledge regarding this musical form or has anything that can help me out, I would be really, really grateful!

Hey I can't really help you out regarding scottish music, as I'm not familiar with it. However, I thought that you could add something about the usage of drones in both types of music, and how they use modes in relation to this. It would a pretty cool point link!

Hey I can't really help you out regarding scottish music, as I'm not familiar with it. However, I thought that you could add something about the usage of drones in both types of music, and how they use modes in relation to this. It would a pretty cool point link!

I got the links. All I need someone's help in, is some information on the musical purpose of their usage. I can't seem to find anything significant on Scottish Music and it's freaking me out. I've not got enough time to change my topic and do completely different research also!!

Well you could attempt to transcribe the piece, and use that as a base to talk about the musical purpose of certain things in scottish music? I tried looking around and couldn't find much useful info either. If you do transcribe it, it will be quite interesting (but extremely tedious), and you might get extra points.

I transcribed (or at least tried to) a carnatic Indian piece, as I couldn't find proper literature on what I was specifically talking about. Once I had the score, I could talk about my links and explore the significance of each link fully, without using too many books.

Sorry I can't be of more help :/

• Like 1