US university choices

chokyuhyun

The universities you choose are entirely up to you and we can't really make any choices for you. Which universities you add are entirely dependent on your overall impression of the school and your preferences. Do you like a big school or small one? In a rural setting or city? A traditional setting or a more contemporary one? How far away from home do you want to be? A big party school? A conservative one? Do you want to go to one based on prestige? Is cost a factor to you? Things like that. A school that I like for example you might end up hating, so there is no point listing off a ton of schools.

What I'd suggest is start looking around for reputable lists for colleges with strong liberal arts programs and see what jumps out at you. With your scores you stand a chance at most schools (so long as you've also got some good essays, recommendations, and extracurricular activities too). Then start making your own. I started compiling my list based on colleges that had strong programs in what I was applying for, and then from there I looked at the websites and looked to see if it appealed to me. If it did I tried to visit if possible. If it met all my criteria I kept it on the list and applied to it.

Good luck :)

Like Emy said it depends completely on your criteria. Just look up colleges that have a strong liberal arts program. And you should have safeties, middle tier, and reach schools. Safeties are schools you know you will definitely get into, but the college might not be as great for your program. It's the last option, if you don't get in anywhere. Middle tier schools should generally be your aim, since you're almost certain you will definitely get in and it is strong in the program that you're looking for.

To get you started, you could look at Vassar- one of my friends is going there for liberal arts. Also, Barnard, which is probably a reach school. I'm not sure both are on the commonapp though :S

Like Emy said it depends completely on your criteria. Just look up colleges that have a strong liberal arts program. And you should have safeties, middle tier, and reach schools. Safeties are schools you know you will definitely get into, but the college might not be as great for your program. It's the last option, if you don't get in anywhere. Middle tier schools should generally be your aim, since you're almost certain you will definitely get in and it is strong in the program that you're looking for.

To get you started, you could look at Vassar- one of my friends is going there for liberal arts. Also, Barnard, which is probably a reach school. I'm not sure both are on the commonapp though :S

Thanks for your advice, but I just want to ask want is the difference between a liberal arts degree and going into liberal arts college? :)

A liberal arts degree can mean a general study of a broad range of liberal arts (this usually isn't a major though), or a degree you earn that falls under a discipline traditionally considered as part of liberal arts, such as literature, history, a language, etc. A liberal arts college is one where in addition to your major, you'll study lots of different disciplines from math to science to literature to history and so forth as to give you the most well-rounded education possible, rather than only studying courses that have to do with your major.

A liberal arts degree can mean a general study of a broad range of liberal arts (this usually isn't a major though), or a degree you earn that falls under a discipline traditionally considered as part of liberal arts, such as literature, history, a language, etc. A liberal arts college is one where in addition to your major, you'll study lots of different disciplines from math to science to literature to history and so forth as to give you the most well-rounded education possible, rather than only studying courses that have to do with your major.

Then is liberal arts college better then a liberal arts degree ?

it depends on you really. I mean obviously being a well rounded person is always better so a liberal arts college sounds better imo. I'm sure you're interested in other things other than just courses related to liberal arts so a liberal arts college would be a better option for you.

Before you start any college research, please sit with your parents and carefully analyse if you will need financial aid or not.

If you're an international student, it can become realy tough. Unless your scores are exceptional (2300+ in SAT and (not or) 44 or 45 predicted), not every college will be willing to fund you. I know because I'm in the same situation.

There are a handful of colleges that give aid to international students. Go through those lists and determine which one suits you best.

On the other hand, if you do not require aid, then the field's pretty open. Go forth with your college research and determine, looking at the courses and college lifestyle. Ascertin what's best for you and see where your scores fall in the ranges for college SAT and IB scores.

PS - SAT II is also damn important for admissions....