I had a slight doubt regarding one of the commentaries I need to submit as a part of my IA Portfolio as a student of Economics HL.

The fact that there is a specific component in the rubric asking for Diagrams in the commentaries has got me slightly muddled. I'm going through my commentary on Developmental Economics and as far as I can see, there aren't any possible diagrams visible in the horizon.

What should I do and is this usually the case with Developmental Economics related IA?

The book I use (Oxford Course Companion by Jocelyn Blink and Ian Dorton),has one diagram in the whole section, so that again does not help much in clearing the air regarding this.

Any help would be quite appreciated! :dance2:

Edited by ignisrexleo

Hi!

You're right, when you go through the topic of Developmental Economics there aren't much diagrams. There's a reason for this - Developmental economics is a sort of...evaluation of the content you learnt in the previous sections, and how it might be used for economic development.

Therefore, diagrams for your IA could come from anywhere in the textbook. Some main ones that relate to developmental economics are - PPC, Laffer Curve, Lorenz Diagram, AD/AS model (both neoclassical and Keynesian, use discretion), etc.

Hope that helped.

Hi!

You're right, when you go through the topic of Developmental Economics there aren't much diagrams. There's a reason for this - Developmental economics is a sort of...evaluation of the content you learnt in the previous sections, and how it might be used for economic development.

Therefore, diagrams for your IA could come from anywhere in the textbook. Some main ones that relate to developmental economics are - PPC, Laffer Curve, Lorenz Diagram, AD/AS model (both neoclassical and Keynesian, use discretion), etc.

Hope that helped.

Thanks a lot...that more or less cleared up the lingering sense of uncertainty around this!

But if I may ask a follow up, how many topics (approximately) should I touch upon, which are out of scope of the Developmental Economics section, with the sole purpose being an inclusion of diagrams? Most of what you've suggested is in the Macro part of the course and a surfeit of diagrams from other parts of the course may be misjudged as going off topic, won't it?

Well, you'll have to use your discretion there. My teacher usually suggested having at least 2 diagrams per IA. In the case of developmental economics, let's pretend you have an article about micro credit schemes:

You could illustrate income inequality, and the change cause by the micro credit scheme through the use of a lorenz curve. You'd of course have to explain this fully.

You could also use an AD/AS diagram to show the increase in total output resulting from successful implementation of micro credit schemes.

The point is that you can use any diagrams from any topic, so long as its valid with regards to your discussion in your commentary. You will usually not have to touch on any topics "out" of economic development, because there's loads of topics that directly relate to it. Do you see what i'm getting at here?

• Like 1