Applying to Cambridge

Fermat

Hi guys,

I was researching the economics course at Cambridge and the application process today and there was something I didn't quite understand. I was under the impression that there is only one university of Cambridge (like one campus) but on their website (http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/economics/) there seems to be quite a few.

So are these "sub uni's" of Cambridge or how does it work? Are some better than others? And if you go to the link I attached, you'll see the different assessments for the course and I was wondering, what do they mean by "test at interview"? Will there be an interview and then a test or is the interview the test?

Thanks!

• Like 1

No. These are Colleges. You apply to a certain college in Cambridge (Kings, Downing, Emmanuel Corpus Christi etc), but they're all still part of Cambridge University. There's certain colleges which are regarded as better than others e.g. Kings > Girton etc but in reality a degree from Cambridge is a degree from Cambridge. Oxford do the same.

Oxford and Cambridge have admissions tests and by in large these (at Cambridge) are done at your interview, excluding BMAT for medics. There will be a written examination followed by an interview or two with tutors at your chosen college.

Edited by cjy
  • Like 2

Thanks for the clarification!!

I've looked at the TSA tests but does anyone here (who goes to Cambridge or Oxford) want to share their experiences about the "test at interview" part?

It'll vary college to college and subject to subject and won't be the same each year I'm afraid.