Would self-teaching chess count for CAS?

If so, which one would it be: creativity, action or service?

I was thinking that I could go to an elderly center and use my acquired skills to play chess with the elderly. So, maybe it could count as creativity and service?

I can only play checkers so I would definitely be learning something new...

Would a friend be able to teach me in order for me to have a supervisor?

Could it be a cousin (about 21 years old)?

Creativity, and no family member could supervise you, therefore, it's best to get someone from the school (maybe CAS coordinator) to teach you (or any other chess expert) and thus count that as CAS. Or, you can always set up a Chess Club, run it, and get someone who knows how to play chess teach it. And possibly get any teacher in your school to supervise that.

Self-teaching with no supervisor is not permissible for CAS. You will need someone who can verify that you've improved and is working on becoming better and who is not in your family, as Sir Azder pointed out, so your cousin would not work out that well. However, if you get someone (for instance a friend, as you suggested yourself) to teach you chess, or someone who can confidently prove that you've practised, it would count as creativity. Playing chess with elderly can be said to be both creativity and service (but not both at the same time), depending on how you argue for it being categorised as one of them.

I'd suggest you talk to your CAS coordinator at school. I know there are some differences between schools regarding CAS, and you might want to check with your coordinator if this information is in fact valid at your school.