In my IB lit exam for Year 1 I got a 3, Help!

tardislock

So we just had our exams for Year 1 IB, and she gave us a choice of passage or poem (I chouse the passage)

I just checked my scores online and I got a 3! Thing is, I actually thought I did well in that passage but apparently not. I really don't know how to study for english lit at all. It's been almost a year and I don't even know how to write a commentary. Our teacher has never even told us how to and she gave us an example once and it wasn't even an IB commentary. She said that I have good ideas but I have no idea how to structure my essay. Can you guys please really help me on how I should structure my essay? Like intro, para1,2,3,4, and conc?

I feel as if I don't understand anything and that I'm the worse person in my class.

also any tips on how to get good grades in IB english I'm currently getting a 5 in my english IB world lit? what did you guys get? Because I feel that this is really bad too

Try reading through some of the stickied posts in the Language A1 forum on here. Most of those give advice on how to do well on commentaries (both oral and written), essays, and individual exam components. For example, the link here http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/9486-tips-for-writing-a1-essays-paper-1-paper-2-and-wl1/ will help you with how to do better on your Paper 1 (the prose or poem aspect). Spend some time going through them, it will help you. You can also ask your teacher and see what she suggests for you to do, she might be able to specifically give you advice that would help your essays and presentations.

I was the last year on the old A1 syllabus and I got a 5 because literature analysis is not my strong point (I also didn't have great world lit papers but shhh :P), but I tried hard and learned how to write decently because I didn't want to get a 4. If you try really hard, you could even perhaps get a 6 :)

I have gotten 6s rather than 7s in my commentaries so I am probably not the best help out there but I'll give it a crack. In terms of structure, you can do it thematically, chronologically (this is only for poems, going stanza-by-stanza. If you want to do this, justify your choice in the essay), by literary devices, or element by element (the subject matter is... the mood is... the tone is... the structure is...)- talking about the effects of different literary devices. I wouldn't recommend the last one, it doesn't look great, but if you're totally totally stuck then I guess use it. But you got a 3, not a 1- so you won't need it. Thematically is probably the best- i.e "suicide as escape" "religion as an oppressive force" "water as spiritual absolution"- remember themes need a degree of specificity: e.g 'love' isn't a theme, because it's too vague- instead 'the healing power of love' is.

wow those themes I made up are really morbid. but so is every IB text ever.

• Like 1

For starters, chill. Writing commentaries is a skill that you develop over 2 years. I know 3 is bad but that just means you have to practise more. Google is helpful mate, if you type in 'IB literature commentaries', 'how to write a commentary' etc you'll get lots of help. Also on this website, check out the stickies in the literature forum. Those are very helpful. You want some marked actual IB commentaries, here are some (Language A: literature teacher support material). Try to understand where you're going wrong. If it's interpreting the text, try to read more. Do past paper 1s and compare your understanding of the text with the actual meaning. Talk to your teacher and fellow students (I doubt everyone's failing in your class, it's not theoretically possible) and they will be able to help you. You have a year to go and a 5/6 will be possible if you put in the work. I did get a 4/7 on one of my earlier commentaries and then I took it as a challenge to improve. You should do that too.

Cheers,

Simran

One of the helpful tips our teacher gives us is something called "Quote-Interpret-Link" .

When you decide on what to talk about in a certain para, you give the topic sentence, then quote as evidence, interpret how that is relevant, what the author is doing (perhaps emphasising their point/theme and then finally you link it to what you think the author's message was/is.

Obviously you need to work around this underlying method a bit, but it is a start and you'll find that you have to add info before the quote, and move the order around a bit to suit what you're saying but I hope it helped!

Also, try reading the works of other students in you class, who got better marks than you in formative class essays and commentaries. By improving in daily class assignments, your bound to get somewhat better in exam situations (or at least I hope I do :P )

• 1 month later...

Sometimes, for the very diligent, reading up manuals and self-help books can help. But it takes time and lots of self-discipline, no kidding! General advice or tips only go so far. But .... There is nothing like getting real attention and practice from an expert who gives you the time of day - every day if you need it. Ib teachers may not be able to give you that, for whatever reason... usually being so busy. Have you tried a specialized IB tutor? I had one for Math and it was nothing like trying to catch up all by myself. It made a big difference for some of my classmates too, in the former A1 English, with the same tutor, online. So why struggle alone?

A year of IB study has a nasty habit of slipping by all too quickly. Don't count on having that much time to concentrate just on English. To be forewarned is to be fore-armed.

Edited by Blackcurrant