What career options would I have with English, History and Eco HL?

Aditya Bhattacharya

Hey everyone,

I've just begun my IBDP last month (april) from India and I wanted to know what career options I could have with my current combination: English History and Economics at Higher Level, and Math SL, French Ab Initio and ESS SL. I could work with any of my three Higher Levels at University/College level, but I would prefer History and English to Economics.

• Like 1

Any and all, pretty much. IB subjects are quite unhindering (with the plausible exception of Maths studies), but straight out of the IB you would be solely limited by SL Maths, which in some cases does not allow you to do mathematics, physics, economics or potentially computer science at university without extra certificates or other proof of mathematical ability. Otherwise, all paths are wide open given good grades - thus, do whatever you find yourself developing an interest in.

Career choices are somewhat fluctuating at least in my experience, when entering the IB I was sure I wanted to become an investment banker in the quantitative side, now pretty much any other business-related profession or even law seem more attractive. For history and English, probably the most common occupation for either degree is either teacher or researcher, given the level of academia you're interested in joining. But there are plenty of other options around, especially for English (journalism, other writing-related occupations, public speaking...)

• Like 1

We have the exact same IB subject combination.

I would say law is open to you. Alongside law, pretty much any social science discipline (other than Economics in some universities that require Maths HL, but you don't prefer Economics so that's a moot consideration).

Sociology, public policy, international relations, history, political science, etc. in the Social Sciences field. You can also consider more outlaying degrees such as in English Literature or Creative Writing if you're so predisposed.

In terms of a career, as in post-university, well that depends on you. A lot of people don't end up establishing a career in what they get their first degrees in anyway. The sky's the limit depending on your university results. Your IB subject combination has little to no impact on your future career though.