MAY 13 HL Mathematics - Statistics & Probability paper 3 (TZ2)

yii yann

How'd you guys find it? I though it was a very easy paper, with the exception of the last part of the final question (smth about finding the value of x that has the highest probability). Oh and I was panicking in question 2 when they didn't give lambda, then I realized it could be calculated :D

I think it was pretty easy in hindsight and I hope I did q. 1-3 flawlessly. But I made SO many mistakes in questions 4 and 5 that made me run out of time and it doesn't help that they're worth practically half the paper :P I'm hoping I still got a good score on that paper haha.

I think it was pretty easy in hindsight and I hope I did q. 1-3 flawlessly. But I made SO many mistakes in questions 4 and 5 that made me run out of time and it doesn't help that they're worth practically half the paper :P I'm hoping I still got a good score on that paper haha.

Awesome paper. Think that I got my 60/60 here.

For the last question the highest probability of X was simply the higehst value of X for which the given equation held true, giving X=23.

Yep last bit tripped me up. Lots of people found the paper difficult though. I think it's because the questions took a while to "click" in a candidate's mind, if you get what I mean.

For qn 2 (the one where you had to estimate the poisson variable), what were your degrees of freedom? We had to minus one more than usual, due to the estimated mean right?

Yep last bit tripped me up. Lots of people found the paper difficult though. I think it's because the questions took a while to "click" in a candidate's mind, if you get what I mean.

For qn 2 (the one where you had to estimate the poisson variable), what were your degrees of freedom? We had to minus one more than usual, due to the estimated mean right?

I'm a bit glad to hear that, because two of my friends were like "dude instant 55!!11" and I blew the last page so hard it might have knocked me to the 30s. I made a stupid mistake in the cdf in 4 and I found 5 quite tricky. :P

df was 4, because 6 categories - 1 (due to mean) - 1. I checked it with the calculator function when checking my p-value and it also said 4 :)

P.S. What do you guys think the overall boundaries will look like? mid-70s for a 7?

Edited by Garmr

Yeah, P3 wasn't half bad at all. I actually tripped numerous times on the expected values for the chi-squared test and spent a ton of time writing them down four times, first three times erroneously :D As a result, I ran out of time to do a few subquestions from questions 4 and 5, but overall I reckon it went pretty well. I'd be happy with anything above 45 marks for it, even happier with 50.

The question with the pdf, smth like (3x^2 + 2x)/10, what'd you guys get for the median?

Same question, the CLT part, did your approximation have a ridiculously small variance?

Median was 1.6 if i remember correctly. Forgot the variance though, its just dividing by the sample number for the new variance, so might be very small.

Edited by Giveme45