Requirements for overall Higher Level points

psychologystudent501

Okay, I was just wondering whether universities that state a required total point score at higher are flexible with this?

For example, one uni I'm interested in applying to says they want a certain amount at higher and a general overall score requirement: I have exceeded the overall point requirement by one, but am one below the higher point requirement (but my teacher is considering boosting my prediction as I was 0.8% below the next grade! :P :/)

As I have achieved one of their requirements, will I (potentially) be offered a place to study there or flat-out rejected for not having achieved both requirements?

Sorry if there are existing threads dealing with this issue, I couldn't see any :)

Thanks in advance

It obviously depends on the uni you are applying to and the rest of your application. A good applicant who shows promise of academic development in their personal statement might well receive an offer, but then again, more (in this case) is always better. Top universities may entirely turn down an applicant on this basis due to a large amount of applicants, but high/middle-tier unis might well give you an offer, since in any case they can turn you down later on based on not fulfilling the conditional offer if the problem with this one grade persists. Might be dependent on the subject from which the grade is too, as a subject mostly irrelevant for your university studies might be seen as less of a problem than a subject you will be needing on a day-to-day basis in university.

In short, write a good application and apply to the place you want to go. If you're lucky, it will work out and if not, it's only a single slot in your application. Trying and narrowly failing always beats not trying at all.

• Like 2

It depends on a case to case basis. If the entrance to your desired university is highly competitive and it's highly reputable, then they might not accept you. But it doesn't definitely work that way either. (As far as I know) They can give you chances by conducting interviews, etc. So, keep your fingers crossed!

I suggest consider plan B university too in case the worse happen (not the worst though).

So, good luck!

:)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...