Uni choices. PLEASE HELP.

Kili-ng Me Softly

I'm taking very similar courses, but i'm taking physics Hl instead of ITGS. I will be studying business and international economics in college. You can major in business or business/ITGS.

Its not recommended to major in one of your SL's.

The IB B&M course covers several topics that are discussed at college, you may find it useful to major in Business because the B&M course will help you in college

Well, what do you want to do? What are your interests? What kind of job do you find interesting? Where do you want to study? We can't really suggest any university degrees without knowing more about you. There are a myriad of undergraduate degrees, and many thousands of universities, so it'll be impossible for us to say that you should study petroleum if we don't know more. We can't really base ourselves on your subjects either, because that doesn't really give us a clue who you really are.

As for the claim that it is not recommended to major in one of your SLs, I would say that's generally not true. If you don't study politics in the IB, it is not implied that you should not study politics at university. Nor is there anything saying that you should study physics is you have physics as a HL subject. That's completely up to your interests and ambitions.

Do you have a current favourite subject? Often a favourite subject allows students to exercise certain skills they are strongest at or is just overall enjoyable for the student. This could be key when deciding what to do in regards to higher education or even career wise. Talk to the teachers who teach the subjects you enjoy, they often could have information regarding what kind of courses or careers the subject or similar subjects could lead to. Also teacher may be able to indicate to you what your [academic] skills are.

Do you already have a specific career/ job you could see yourself doing?

I think you should have a talk with a careers advisor or your IB coordinator and see if they know of any career/ university fairs or talks that could guide you.

You could take one of those online career or degree/ course tests. They could potentially help give you a narrowed down list of jobs or sectors that would suit you based on your personality. When you have a career in mind it might be easier to narrow down degrees. But even then you should still explore more courses/ careers because these tests have a tendency to not include every single career available.

If you do find ones you like, there is often sample online degrees offered so you could browse and see what the it may be like. Keep in mind different universities have different structures.

http://www.allaboutcareers.com/careers-advice/choosing-a-university/what-degree-should-i-do

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/choosingcourses/choosingcourse/chooserightcourse

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobfamily/Pages/default.aspx