Basic CAS Questions

Hi. :question:

I'm new to DP so I would like you to help me to my problems out. I didn't have time to talk to CAS supervisor.

I write paragraphs badly so I underlined the important parts which are my main questions :)

First, do I need to cover all of Creativity, Action, and Service? Am I okay to just join 'Service' activities?

Now I'm doing activities which are counted as Service, I guess, and no Activities or Creations yet. Well, I'm planning to do Creativity and Action ones too. So please read my plan and advice me.

I found a pilates studio near my house so I'm planning to join there. I found 'yoga' as an example of Action so I think pilates would be fine too.

If I start those kinds of activity, how often is preferred to join? Or is just joining the exercise not enough for CAS?

And finally, I'm going to join a summer school abroad this summer holiday. This would be a big challenge in my life. Since it is a challenging activity (I think it fits with all of the 8 CAS aspects!) will it be a CAS? As I mentioned before, is it not enough?

It became a bit long, but I'm looking forward for someone's advice :okok:

Hey there. Here are the answers to your questions.

First, do I need to cover all of Creativity, Action, and Service? Am I okay to just join 'Service' activities?

No, you are required to cover all three components for CAS.

I found a pilates studio near my house so I'm planning to join there. I found 'yoga' as an example of Action so I think pilates would be fine too.

If I start those kinds of activity, how often is preferred to join? Or is just joining the exercise not enough for CAS?

Yoga would count for the Action component of CAS, as long as you have a supervisor to keep track of your progress. I'm not so sure what you're asking in your other question but generally it would be fine to do CAS(either component) two or three times a week as you should to be consistent with it throughout your diploma years.

And finally, I'm going to join a summer school abroad this summer holiday. This would be a big challenge in my life. Since it is a challenging activity (I think it fits with all of the 8 CAS aspects!) will it be a CAS? As I mentioned before, is it not enough?

If you are going to take summer school for CAS, you must not receive any sort of credit from it as a result(academic, scholarship, etc. ). Doing so will not meet the criteria for it to be a CAS activity. And I guess if you justify the components, everything else will be fine.

Wow! What a quick reply!

Thank you very much for your answer. I got it. :yes:

For the summer school thing, I think I won't receive any kinds of credits you've mentioned.

I'm just participate there and study + dicuss about various topics.

• 3 months later...

You are required to cover all three aspect of CAS and the hours should be fairly balanced near 50 - 50 - 50

For creativity: you can paint, do artistic stuff

For action: you can enter a new sport

For service: teach some kids spanish

you can recycle and count it as both action and service