English A higher level mark boundaries.

Hey guys, thanks for the response. Can you guys tell me how much each part is worth: world lit paper, individual oral/commentary, paper 1 and paper 2. Also what is the scaling factor you multiply to get the composite. Thanks.

No need to calculate: there are 100 marks available, and 1 mark = 1%.

World Lit = 25 marks = 25%

Orals = 30 marks = 30%

Paper 1 = 20 marks = 20%

Paper 2 = 25 marks = 25%

So just take the total number of marks in each thing (eg 22 in orals, 15 in world lit, 16 in paper 1 and 20 in paper 2) and add these together for percentage overall.

I don't know if one is officially easier or harder: often, it is the luck of the draw, and dependent upon question/examiner/personal preference. I know a guy in the year above me who got full marks in the paper 1 but 21/25 in the paper 2. He even thought the paper 2 went better. As for me, I've always found paper 2 easier as I am good at focusing on questions and I know the texts well - I don't find it too difficult to remember many obscure quotes or theatrical devices. On the other hand, I often found that with the paper 1, I would dry up after 3 sides if I found the text boring. Fortunately today I analysed some decent prose and thing it went okay, with about 7 sides written!

If you like the texts and are good at remembering quotes and answering a specific question, Paper 2 is more likely to come easier to you. However, don't get complacent about this - a tricky question can scupper level 7s and break hearts :P

I don't know whether you do novels or plays, but I do plays, so my Criteria C is focused on theatrical devices. These are extremely important. I guess tips for high scores in Paper 2 would have to comprise of how to nail the criteria:

Criteria A - knowledge - your essay must consist of LOTS of textual references - quotes. Especially the less subtle ones - there are some quotes, and I'm sure you can imagine the sort I mean, that EVERYONE knows and puts in EVERY essay! The examiner gets bored of these, so stand out and make his day by showing off your superior knowledge. :P

Criteria B - answering the damn question - answer the damn question! Refer back to it every now and then - if you go off on a tangent, this criteria will lack somewhat. How does the point of each paragraph answer the question? Also manipulate the words of the question when making your points - this shows you are answering it.

Criteria C - Analysis/appreciation of literary devices - so, in plays these are theatrical devices. Clearly these are important as they make up 5 out of 25 marks! Examiners have been told to pay special attention to whether the candidate is nailing this, as often it is the most lacking. Show that you know what you are doing by mentioning lots of devices and even more importantly, analysing the effect of these devices. Namedropping them isn't enough - you need to answer the question with them.

Criteria D - Structure - Don't let your essay be a bunch of separate paragraphs. Connectives can make your argument flow: 'Furthermore, Additionally, Moreover' etc. Also, a clear introduction, followed by a clear argument progression, followed by a conclusion answering the question using the evidence of your main body is a clear structure. Also, compare and contrast the works you have studied - structure marks are also taken away from those that rely too much on one text, or don't give running comparison.

Criteria E - language - be verbose yet coherent. Have an impressive vocabulary, correctly use colons and semi-colons to show that you can use these effectively (grammar brownie points - many people use them wrong), and be clear. Don't ramble or digress, or write like Shakespeare - you need clarity just as much!

• Like 2

So, out of the 100 marks, what would be required for a level 6, do you suppose? I was predicted a 6 on WL (it was 15/20 but that was before they changed the marking) and my oral marks converted to a 6 as well (22/30, I think??) and am hoping for a 6 overall.

TykeDragon, if you are HL, I did the same prose :) Actually enjoyed it to some extent...which was strange, lol!!

@GeekChloe, haha yes, keep your eyes peeled in the next few hours for a thread about that prose and we can discuss it further on there - currently we are within the 24 hour timeframe we are not allowed to discuss it during, but yes I enjoyed it too, was fairly simple. Read the prose, already working out how I could split it, then turned to the poem, and promptly flicked back a few moments later!

Also, a 6 last year was about 68%. (so 68 marks) and wow, we weren't allowed to know our exact marks for WL. I just know through school hints that my orals are about 23-24/30 and my world lit about 19-20/25. I am hoping for 16 or 17/20 in todays commentary, and if I want a 7 I need at least 21/25 in paper 2, maybe even 22/25. These are my rough estimations and I am not sure if I can achieve that :S though Paper 2 is my stronger paper, and I got 21/25 in the mock. Would be happy with a 6 really though!

@TykeDragon - yes, I'm aware of the 24 hour window. *sigh*. Will definitely be wanting to talk about it afterwards though!! I did the same thing. My class was about a 50/50 split.

Our WL's were written in Grade 11 and then edited for Grade 12 - so I know my mark pre-editing (hopefully I boosted it one or two marks). What would a level 6 be out of 25, do you suppose? 18-19? Ours were still marked out of 20 (predicted, anyways).

Thanks for the mark band info :) Even after two years of IB, I still get confused with conversions and whatnot. Our English teacher, being slightly unorganized, didn't actually give us an official mock (well......didn't actually MARK it, hahaha). He predicted me at a high 5, and when I questioned him, he said it was because he knew I was capable of a 6 if I actually put effort it (i.e. he knows I didn't read any books this year. sigh.)

Good luck with your 7, and the paper 2 tomorrow :) Sorry for this essay.