Should I take HL Economics if I only previously took HL Geo?

I'm dropping out of the full diploma program next year, when I'm in grade 12, and am instead going to do the IB certificate. I'm thinking of doing HL History and HL Economics. However, THIS year, I did HL Geography, instead of econ. So I'm essentially starting out in the middle of the course without any knowledge whatsoever. I spoke to a grade 12 student who is doing HL econ, and she says that in first year, you only do microecon, so if I work hard, I'll catch up.

Any advice?

The "Micro" in Micro-economics doesn't make any of the material smaller or easier to understand. That being said it is slightly more straightforward and many concepts in micro actually are pretty repetitive through the course. For example the theory of supply and demand is seen repeatedly in contexts other than micro.
I'm not sure about this, I'm in economics writing my first exam tomorrow... I would have to say it depends on how motivated you are to do economics. Do you need it for university or does it just interest you? ( it is not a pre-requesite course for any university programmes, so acceptance wise geo or econ doesn't matter.

• 2 weeks later...

HL economics is not too tough, in fact I guess it is one of the easiest HL options available as the only HL extension part that could cause spontaneous grey hair growth in some can be entirely skipped if necessary (theory of the firm). Also, no options and P3 is somewhat equal to free marks at will, so I reckon you should be fine. Obviously, as in skipping to any course half way through, you will need to catch up with the basics and keep at it once you do, but compared to at least any of my HLs it seems by far the easiest.

• Like 1

I'm dropping out of the full diploma program next year, when I'm in grade 12, and am instead going to do the IB certificate. I'm thinking of doing HL History and HL Economics. However, THIS year, I did HL Geography, instead of econ. So I'm essentially starting out in the middle of the course without any knowledge whatsoever. I spoke to a grade 12 student who is doing HL econ, and she says that in first year, you only do microecon, so if I work hard, I'll catch up.

Any advice?

I finished microeconomics in 2 terms, but HL eco is apparently expected to be the easier HL subject. You'll be fine :) hopefully

Just make sure you understand the concepts well...that's the key advice I can give to you