how much do you write in Paper one?

susanne

I'm having a bit of problem with my Paper One practices; due to a lack of actual education into the art of answering Paper One, as well as a lack of ineffective teaching by our teacher, I'm left complete clueless. Each response to Paper One questions (with the exception of first question) are generally 200-300 words, and I am a bit worried because my teacher seemed to answer every question in under 100 words,

Am I doing something wrong here? and how do you tackle Paper one questions?

I don't think it's a case of how many words, but a case of how many marks. It's basically a point per mark. If its asking for what the source says in relation to a topic and is 3 marks, give three points, if you're unsure about one, then give a fourth. If its asking you to compare and contrast give 3 comparisons and 3 differences, if you're unsure about one give one more just in case. If tasks you for the value and limitation, then give 3 values in regards to origin and purpose, and 3 limitations in regard to the origin and purpose again.

• Like 4

As above - focus on points, not words. Three clear points for 1a. A clear message/imagery justification for 1b. No why or how, just WHAT is the content. About 5-10 mins combined.

For Q2, a paragraph with 3-4 clear similarities between the two sources, followed by a paragraph with 3-4 clear differences between the two. No 'why' are they different, just how they are different. Take about 10-15 minutes.

For Q3, a paragraph per source - no intro, no comparison. Go explicitly through the Origins and Purpose of each, then 2 or 3 values, and 2-3 limitations of each source. Only question in which you would mention reliability - as a value/limitation, etc. Take about 10-15 mins on this.

For Q4, a mini essay, not as long as your paper 2 essays. Maybe about half length if that (I.e - 1 - 1.5 sides) Give it a little intro answering the question, and don't just say 'Source A says this, etc' build them into your arguments. Use explicit own knowledge, and a balanced argument (intro, argument for, argument against, mini conclusion answering question) and if you even had a point of relevant extra historiography to throw in, that would be brilliant, and with all of the above you could be looking at 7-8 marks out of 8. This is worth the most marks and is the largest response, so leave a good 20 minutes for it.

• Like 4

As above - focus on points, not words. Three clear points for 1a. A clear message/imagery justification for 1b. No why or how, just WHAT is the content. About 5-10 mins combined.

For Q2, a paragraph with 3-4 clear similarities between the two sources, followed by a paragraph with 3-4 clear differences between the two. No 'why' are they different, just how they are different. Take about 10-15 minutes.

For Q3, a paragraph per source - no intro, no comparison. Go explicitly through the Origins and Purpose of each, then 2 or 3 values, and 2-3 limitations of each source. Only question in which you would mention reliability - as a value/limitation, etc. Take about 10-15 mins on this.

For Q4, a mini essay, not as long as your paper 2 essays. Maybe about half length if that (I.e - 1 - 1.5 sides) Give it a little intro answering the question, and don't just say 'Source A says this, etc' build them into your arguments. Use explicit own knowledge, and a balanced argument (intro, argument for, argument against, mini conclusion answering question) and if you even had a point of relevant extra historiography to throw in, that would be brilliant, and with all of the above you could be looking at 7-8 marks out of 8. This is worth the most marks and is the largest response, so leave a good 20 minutes for it.

Thank you so much! It really helps :)

The best advice for Paper 1 is to practice. Once you do 7-8 of them (past papers are harder to find, but I guess it is worth the effort of finding them), you start to develop a strategy for time allocation and paragraph structures.

I don't have much more to add than what has been said, really.

Actually, with question 2 the compare + contrast, I've always structured it with 1 paragraph comparisons (similarities) and 1 paragraph contrasts (differences), but my teacher actually told our class that that kind of response did not show significant 'integration'. Apparently, it's not an 'excellent detailed running commentary' (for the 6 marks) if you do 2 blocks of comparisons/contrasts, you have to be doing short paragraphs about how each source develops comparisons and contrasts - so you have a paragraph for an 'idea', and then you explore similarities/differences. Personally, I feel that the 2 paragraphs with contrasts/comparisons is far easier to write, and just as clear, and I think that most people do write it like that. I guess if a 'running commentary' on different ideas is done well, it can be awesome, but if it's done badly, I think there's more room to fail.

• Like 1