I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place because I've only been here a handful of times. (What is a handful anyway? lol)

I have to have IA Topics by Monday for my class. I'm willing to do anything that isn't expensive to do because my family is struggling financially so I don't have money to do a project that requires 20 plants or whatever.

I'm in Biology SL and will take it again next year because I'm not testing out this year. I don't mind because Science is really difficult for me and I tend to stumble a lot and have to study harder with that subject to get anything in unlike Math or Economics.

I have a few topics but I don't know if they are good enough?

One is using Spinach leaves and seeing if different color light bulbs will affect the CO2 production? Does that make sense? My Pre-IB Biology teacher from 9th grade told me Spinach leaves are cheap and I know light bulbs aren't much either. (I may sound cheap but I really am poor so I don't want to be a burden to my parents_

The other had to do with Plant Chromatography but I don't think my teacher has any supplies that I'd need for that experiment.

Anyway, I'm not asking for anyone to do my IA for me. I'm just asking for Topics that are great but wouldn't cost me too much to do. :)

Thanks for reading.

How are you going to measure CO2 production? A lot of people doing a similar experiment use pond weed. You only need one plant. The reason for this is that you can measure CO2 just by counting the bubbles that come off it (..as it's under water..) and it's easy to measure - I'm not sure if you'd thought about how to measure CO2 production from the spinach but I don't imagine it's very easy, particularly with regard to catching all the CO2 and making sure none escapes.
Also, I don't know if spinach leaves alone will work - I think you'd need a living plant!(?I'm not a plant expert, but it seems weird to me). Anyway you can measure light intensity (distance of lamp from plant) or you can also use colour cellophane type paper to test CO2 production at different wavelengths (colours) of light. We did that when I was 15 or so and I imagine it'd make an acceptable simple IB practical.

In other news, it's outrageous that your school won't provide basic equipment for you. You shouldn't have to pay. I never paid for anything.

• Like 1

My teacher will give us the lab equipment she has like microscopes, lamps (But not the light bulbs), scales, graduated cylinders, like the usual stuff. I have to bring in the thing I'm experimenting on. Pond weed? Can I buy that in store since there are no ponds near me?

It doesn't have to be a plant experiment, just one that wouldn't cost too much. :)

Edited by LyricallyCynical