Changes from 2007 syllabus to 2013 syllabus?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the syllabus has changed in terms of actual content, not test structure, since 2007. The reason I need to know is that I will be reviewing for exams from the Blink and Dorton course companion made for the 2007 syllabus, and I'm afraid that it may be missing material that will show up on the 2013 exams.

Thanks for your help!

The biggest change from the 2007 to the 2013 Economics syllabus is the addition of mathematical formulas and calculations. For example, in the 2007 syllabus students were required to know PED but not know how to calculate it. In the 2013 syllabus, there is a Paper 3 (for HL only) that is testing mathematical skills.

Use a new/updated course companion/book to revise with if you want to make sure that you are not missing material!

I realize the econs exams are only a week and a couple of days away (I'm taking them too!). But please, please purchase or borrow the cambridge university press Economics for IB Diploma textbook, written by Dr Ellie Tragakes. The textbook offers extremely (sometimes overly) thorough explanations of everything you'd need to know about the new syllabus (including the calculation parts), and the practice qns on the CD are absolutely amazing. You don't even have to make notes, just do the practice qns, cause it's fantastic for revision.

Apart from that, the major difference from the old syllabus is the introduction of a mathematically-focussed paper. However, this is usually very simple calculations, and you wouldn't have much to really "know". A lot of it can be common sense.

@yii yann: I have to disagree on the point that you are making that "you wouldn't have much to really 'know'". You have to know the formulas by heart and remember them. For example, you could get a question on GDP Deflator, asking you to calculate it. To do that question, you have to remember the formula for a GDP Deflator. That isn't that easy, and it is definitely not common sensical. The calculations is something you learn by memorising the formulas and applying them. Any updated course companion or text book should have practice exercises for Paper 3.

Also remember, if you are doing standard level (SL) you don't have to care about the calculations part as that is only for higher level (HL). Good luck!

• Like 1