Mathematics HL

SAnonymus

Guys!
I have my Maths HL paper on Wednesday 10.04.13, semester exams. I am really very sick and i don't know how should i study for the exam to at least score average marks.

Could you please give me some advice regarding this?
We have covered the following topics:

1. Sequences and series
  2. Trigonometry
  3. Mathematical Induction
  4. Complex numbers
  5. Binomial theorem
  6. Polynomials
  7. Functions and Relations

I really need you help!!
Thanks.

Edited by SAnonymus

Review your class notes on topics you aren't so clear about.

• Sequences should be pretty straightforward. Use the data booklet for arithmetic and geometric progressions. Geometric has finite sum an infinite sum. Make sure you know what the values to substitute into the formula.
  • Trigonometry: The questions do not always ask you to prove stuff but it helps to be able to prove them (this is the fun part for me). Recognise compound angle formulae. Know your graphs, especially the basic ones. Know that arcsin is inverse of sin graph (provided that is is within a certain domain of sin graph), etc. You might need to know transformations like cos (theta - alpha). Know domain and ranges of trig graphs.
  • Mathematical induction: be clear about the steps. Test for n=1, then assume it is true for n=k then consider n=k+1 if n=k is true. Remember to put your final concluding statement. You may still get a reasoning mark for that even if you are not able to prove.
  • Complex numbers (it intimidates me :question: ): Arguments and modulus. Remember you can use tan (opposite/adjacent) to find the argument. Argand diagrams. It helps if you sketch you complex numbers on argand diagrams. De moivre's and the rest. Sorry, you'll have to ask someone else for this.
  • Binomial is pretty much expansion. Sometimes you won't need to expand the whole thing, just specific terms. The term "constant term" refers to the term without an "x".
  • Polynomials and Functions: think about being able to sketch them if they are on Paper 1. When sketching, think about x and y intercepts, asymptotes (horizontal, vertical, oblique), behaviour of graph for positive values of x and negative values of x, behavior of graph as it approaches its asymptotes (both from above and below). If it is on Paper 2, remember that you can use your GDC to help you. Consider gradients, maximum minimum points, points of inflexion (you may or may not have covered these because they require differentiation) and remember that your GDC can do max and min for you. It can do x and y intercepts too.

Remember that Maths HL is pretty tough so it's fine if you don't really do well in it. Don't beat yourself up if you don't do to well. :chair: Just get points wherever you can. Even if you can't do certain parts of a question, still look through subsequent parts as you may be able to do them. Algebra may get a little tough but persevere and you may be able to get the result you want. You don't have to do the questions according to their orders. Feel free to jump around. Do those you know you can do first, before attempting the rest. I know I said it's tough, but you should still try all the questions if you have the time. If you don't really know (that happens most of the time), it may help to point some stuff out to the examiner (it may be obvious but they may give you some marks for it). You would know this already, but show your working, even if you are not really sure what you are doing. Since this is your trials, your teacher may see your thought process and know where you went wrong and he/she'll explain to you. Show enough evidence for GDC use, avoid calculator notation. You may find that you have to sketch a graph at times.

Hope that helps. All the best! :teehee:

• Like 4

Wow, the poster above has given fairly thorough and supremely useful advice, so I won't bother repeating what's already there. I can't stress enough the importance of regularly doing practice and review questions from IB past papers or question-banks, which can be obtained through a variety of means. Practice the format and timing of exams - I should probably do more of that myself. Aside from that, make sure you don't lose hope! There is still time to work on Maths HL, and get you up to the mark you want - whether that's the 'average' mark of 4, or something a bit higher! :)