Economics syllabus

Hi

I’m doing Economics SL and while I’m studying from the book (economic course companion) I see that there are a lot of things and example discussed in the book that are not in the IB Economic guide 2013!! So do you think that I have to study these things and memorize all the extra examples?? Or should I just focus only on the required syllabus in the guide?

Note that I’m really slow at studying.

Thanks

They'll only examine you on the things specifically stated in the syllabus, so if it's not in the syllabus, you don't need to know it.

If the Economics syllabus is brand new for students in 2013(?) then it's also possible that the Course Companion is a little bit out of date so you might also want to check when it was published and whether there's been a syllabus change since then, as that might also help set your mind at rest. Generally the course companions stick pretty religiously to the syllabus - but obviously not always :P

Also some of the material which seems strange to you may be HL extension material, possibly?

Definitely the syllabus = the bible of what you should do, but if you can figure out WHY the course companion doesn't seem to fit it might help put your mind at rest!

• Like 2

Just use the syllabus... I also use that course companion for economics and I'm very selective in what information I use to write my notes coz it does have material that isn't required. Also, for more information on a syllabus point, you can google it and find someone else's notes for that point and add it to your notes. The course companion is good, but I recommend that you don't rely on it too much :)

Happy Studying!

• Like 1

Economics is really one of those subjects where the more you know the better, it just adds to your case. If you can it would do more good than harm to memorise the extra examples. It may help with furthering your economic knowledge or come in handy and support your case when answering some exam questions.

But at the same time, don't feel you have to learn those examples if you don't have enough time.

• Like 2

I have to agree with Chocolate drop, they will expect you to know what is in the syllabus, but since the course you're doing is mostly empirical (not as mathematical as a Uni Economics degree) I would "know" as much as I can to better shape answers/essays/arguments.

• Like 2